Thursday, July 21, 2016

Making a Difference

I am doing a large project. I am attempting to write a book. At the moment it is my intention to compile the book from a compendium of blog posts I have published these past five years (almost). Not an easy task. There are over 1525 posts to cull from. And much of the writing is similar throughout. Some sound like a broken record stuck in the same groove. I know; I am aware of that.

There is a lot of material to review and select from. Nearly 900,000 words. A book usually begins with 100,000 words and pares it down to about 70,000. So I have enough material for one good book, or nine poor ones! Or maybe three solid pieces worthy of public consumption.  Who knows? And the chances that this project will go nowhere is on the probability scale as well!

For now I am thinking about a title or theme that would unify the first book. I am thinking of “Making a Difference”. That seems to be a theme often echoed in the posts. Do something for yourself, do something for someone else, get moving, take action, you can do it! That sort of thing.

Having said that, I am no closer to the finish line for a manuscript. That remains a tall objective. I will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, I will continue with my commentary on current events and see where this will guide me in my thinking. All life is a journey; all thinking, too. Journey’s have a beginning and an end, but along the way there are many rest stops, vista viewings, and visits with strangers. Sometimes a journey involves detours and side trips that pose journeys of their own. That is what makes both life and journey apt metaphors for one another.

At the same time I discover things about life in general, and about myself. Nosing around often uncovers little noticed tid bits don’t weigh much by themselves but in context bring fresh meaning to light. Sort of like listening to a recording of a favorite symphony and in a moment a musical fillip makes its presence known, one that had gone unnoticed before. Suddenly the symphony is enriched and will remain so for future replaying. Next time I’ll listen for this feature with much anticipation.

Appreciating the fit and feel of a piece of art or furniture in the home is like that, too. It may be a comfortable friend bought many years before, but now it takes on a trusted role of familiarity and safety. My environment is personalized and meaningful with this present.

And so like life itself, we players on the stage move about doing things, fulfilling responsibilities, performing chores for self and others, but otherwise don’t make much of a production of this. What impact does my life have on others? And yours as well? When we observe someone walking their dog down the street, do we think of the day that person has lined up? Do we attach importance to their routine as a valued member of our community? Do we even know what dreams and aspirations others have for their lives? Is there anything we could do to help them? Might this be the thing that makes a difference in someone’s life. Not mine, the other’s?

An interesting question. Like that of an artist who creates an art work that resides on a wall or shelf. The art is not thought of frequently but it is noticed from time to time. Most of the time the art is ‘there’ and doesn’t register a specific meaning or value to us. Then one day – Pow! – it does register. We notice it and suddenly it makes the room or makes us feel differently when we are in that room with the art piece. It has ‘shaped’ our sensibility about the place we inhabit.

That art item made a difference. The artist made a difference. Our lives are changed because of that art piece. We see ourselves differently, and the place differently, and so on.

Making a difference involves so many odd bits and pieces. I think of it mainly about how organizations and communities can make a difference in the lives of people. But there are other elements that can make differences to.

Maybe that’s the title of the book?  Making a Difference. I’ll have to give that some more thought.

July 21, 2016


 



No comments:

Post a Comment