Monday, May 18, 2015

A Day in the Life Of…


I’m 72 years old. Male. Gay. Retired. Caucasian American. I've had dreams to accomplish and satisfied several of them. I have an understanding of life and possibility that I want to share with others. Just how is yet to be learned.

Yes, reaching my age is sobering. There are limits to life. I cannot physically do what I used to do – walk, stand, jump, run – and all of that for hours on end! Climbing stairs is now very unpleasant; I avoid this activity entirely if possible. I still awake early and do a lot of ‘work’ before breakfast. Then I either do more work, or pick up a book and read until I slip blissfully into a nap. Afterwards I might do an errand, write some more, or eat lunch.

After lunch more reading or writing, then another nap! Being retired has good moments! At the end of the day we watch TV – usually marathon sessions of Netflix spooled TV series! And then to bed between 8:30 and 9 pm.

I know this doesn't sound exciting to most of you. To me it sounds just fine!

Other things of course occupy my time. Such as AA meetings. These gatherings are important, more so than attending a church service. Those not in AA probably wonder why I would feel this way, or any of my fellow AA colleagues. Here’s a little glimpse of why I think these sessions are important.

First, the gathering is mostly of people we have come to know. Occasionally a new person visits or joins our group. There is no formal entry requirement. If you wish to be with us, then you are OK to do so. Second, before the meeting gets started we catch up with each other, joke and share moments of camaraderie rarely felt in other gatherings of friends. Here we are pretty honest with one another. We are not in hiding or pretending to be something we are not.

Third, we nurture each other’s honesty to set the stage for sharing what’s on our minds. This is the business end of our gathering – to build an environment of freedom to say what is important to the person and unburden the inner self. Doing this builds a connection with others. We are not alone.

Fourth, building an authentic connection with others helps us become sober, be sober and remain so. If sobriety is well grounded in some of the attendees, their presence helps them help others become so. This is the primary outcome of AA and why it is so successful.

Fifth, AA fellowship is often deeper, more honest, and heartfelt than church fellowship. I attend two of these meetings each week, and a service meeting with teens also weekly making three AA meetings per week.

In addition I am active in my church. We attend weekly services, often participate in seasonal extra church services during advent and lent. I volunteer singing liturgy for the congregation, join choir duties when possible, and help plan worship services well in advance. I read scripture frequently as well and the pastor asks me to join in sermon related vignettes to enlarge the sermon’s message, lesson.

In other activities, I write this blog daily, Monday through Friday. Saturday is a ‘thought for the day’ item; Sunday I take off. The blog is now three and a half years old and I’ve published 1200 essays so far. That accounts for well over 700,000 words.

From this I intend to pull together a book if anyone is interested in such content. The process of writing a book is daunting and I do a little work on it each day.

I recently stepped away from being the managing editor of the local paper I helped cofound seven years ago. That has freed up time and focus for the blog and book.

A year ago I joined SCORE – the national Service Corps Of Retired Executives. A volunteer adjunct to the Small Business Administration (Federal Department of Commerce), our mission is to help small businesses form or to assist small businesses grow to a higher plane of operation. Our services are free and we mentor in small teams to enrich the small business persons succeed. SCORE has more than 11,000 mentors who helped start thousands of small businesses in 2014 creating over 47,000 new jobs. SCORE is now 50 years old and one of the best kept secrets in the business world!

I could easily spend 40 or 60 hours a week with SCORE. With discipline I manage to spend about 10 hours per week.

So, that’s a brief summation of how I spend my time. It is interesting and motivating so time flies quickly.

I also sprinkle in visits with the families of my daughter and son. They include two granddaughters and one grandson. These are the bright lights of the future and give me hope and pleasure.

Along the way we cram in visits to doctors, medical labs and drug stores. How we ever did this before retirement is beyond our imagination, but then we didn’t have as many ailments then, either!

I’d hazard a guess that this stage of my life is one of communing with community. One learns much of the inner richness of the community by participating in it. The learning grows rapidly if time is taken to drink in the workings of community. There are many lessons in listening and absorbing their messages. The lessons are invaluable teachers of the facts of life. They help me be me, and better.

Not a bad life to live each day! Each day tends to be better than the previous one. One can only imagine where this may lead!

May 18, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment