Monday, December 9, 2013

Cherishing


In the ‘60’s a song entitled Cherish was released. It was popular around the time of a famous murder in the Chicago suburbs – Valerie Percy, 21, daughter of Senate Candidate Chuck Percy.

The times were turbulent with anti-Viet Nam war sentiments building, the civil rights movement in high gear, and a struggle for the nation as it underwent major social upheaval. The culture was changing.

I was a supporter and campaigner for Percy and thus met and worked with the Percy daughters as they, too, became deeply involved with their father’s campaign. I doubt Valerie, or her twin sister Sharon knew my name, but most of us in the campaign adored the candidate and his family.

That September Sunday in 1966 was a shocker when we learned of Valerie’s brutal murder. I remember many campaign volunteers gathering to remember Valerie and to comfort one another in the aftermath of horror. It was one of many such public acts that would change America’s political landscape forever ~ JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King, Jr.

I recall the close of that year’s campaign season (many of us were working hard to elect several talented candidates to the Senate, House of Representatives and state offices, too. Volunteer groups worked silently and drove miles from one campaign stop to another. Those car rides were silent but for the radio, and often “Cherish” would sound. It brought back memories of our lost fellow campaigner – Valerie Percy. And it changed how we felt about the political process.

In case you have forgotten the lyrics of the song, here is the first verse:

Cherish is the word I use to describe
All the feeling that I have hiding here for you inside
You don't know how many times I've wished that I had told you
You don't know how many times I've wished that I could hold you
You don't know how many times I've wished that I could
Mold you into someone who could
Cherish me as much as I cherish you
                        ~By The Association

The melody and tempo became a theme song to our campaign routine then. It did for me; I don’t know for how many others it did. But the harmonies and sheer musicality of the song enchanted while the lyrics mesmerized.

A related anonymous quote came off the internet the other day; I share it with you here:

“Cherish every moment and every person in your life, because you never know when it will be the last time you see someone.”

We are reminded of this thought many times in life. Usually the reminder comes following the loss of a loved one or significant person in our life.  But then it is too late to share our feelings and love knowingly with the other person. They are gone.  Remember:

“Just remember, you can’t put your arms around a memory. So hug someone you love, today.”  ~Author Unknown

Don’t wait to express yourself. Time is awastin’!

Odd that I would have these thoughts at this time of year, in this season…… Whatever, they are valuable thoughts and feelings. May they speak to you this day.

December 9, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment