Wednesday, March 4, 2015

One of those Days


It’s one of those days when too many things are on my mind and yet not one of them seems to have my full, or core, attention! My focus is diffuse.  Among the issues in mind are these:

-Long, dreary winter!
-Spring is 2 weeks away; good weather is 2 months away
-Car is dirty; weather forecast denies probable date for car wash
-I’m still overweight, clothes don’t fit; no interest in buying new duds
-Doctor appointments in last 30 days say good things; now what?
-Stepping back from activity level; build stronger focus
-Concern for community and its long term vision, leadership
-Rebuilding the music program at our church
-Writing today’s blog (howsoever it’s taking shape as we…)
-Cleaning the apartment
-State of Illinois’ financial condition; dumb politicians who made it that way!
-Incredibly dysfunctional Congress; dumb politicians who make it that way!!
-Amazement for my community which is in fantastic financial shape and on track with its
 Long term strategic plans
-Decluttering the house; still too much stuff in the way
-Ache to go on a road trip we can’t afford; to the Southwest – Yes!
-Cataloging all the things the community could do if it got its thinking cap on straight
-Wondering how any community can muster and nurture its volunteers; they are the soul 
 of the community and the horsepower, too
-Balancing my checkbook
-Not eating out although that’s what I want to do
-Don’t like soup for dinner; prefer meat and potatoes
-and other desiderata…

Note the lack of prioritization of the list. Or maybe the stream of consciousness embedded the priority? At any rate this grouping is a hodge podge of items each deserving attention and effort.

Today, however, I have not the focus or energy to process the list. That’s because we still have to rent the van to deliver the local newspaper, organize the van’s contents to support tomorrow’s effort, pick up the postal trays (36) into which the Warrenville portion of the print run will be sorted for delivery to the PO tomorrow; labeling all trays by postal route; making sure all the paperwork and checks are ready for the day’s itinerary. Then Thursday the delivery route is waged in Warrenville and Winfield and West Chicago. The paper will be in the mailboxes on Friday, March 6. A busy edition, too, as the political season heats up for the April municipal elections.

Once today’s basics are cared for, I intend to nap and lounge while reading. Preparing for my reading assignments with my granddaughters. Been doing this for 4 years now. Working our way through early childhood literature, and now into middle school genre material. Huck Finn has been completed and now Upton Sinclair's The Jungle is underway. Gad that is a dark book! Wonder if we will actually finish it.

So my heart isn't into writing this blog today. I’m just surviving until I know the paper is safely on its way to people’s homes and businesses. Then a weekend to relax and pull my energy and focus together for another week of writing.

Wish me well. I’ll need your extra oomph!

March 4, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment