Monday, August 31, 2015

Laughter


Visiting my daughter’s home Saturday morning we babbled for a few minutes and then chatted about miscellaneous topics and suddenly laughed out loud at quirky statements that popped to mind and were uttered. A phone call came in from my ex wife (daughter’s mom) saying she was coming by to drop off something. They did and we sat for a few minutes and chatted. Suddenly the room was filled with laughter.

Honest, heartfelt laughter.

My spirits were instantly lifted. I had been troubled with some short term projects and those had tugged down my spirit. I was not bouncy. There are those in the family who would never describe me as bouncy, but I think of myself as such normally. Go figure!

That point comes with a discussion on mellowness – does dad have that or not? I think the consensus would be not. I would disagree. My mellowness internally is much greater today than it has ever been. It just isn’t on display. After all, the family doesn’t see what I’m wrestling with day in and day out so how would they know if I’m coming through the battles with mellow outlook?

But laughter. Now that’s something else. When it happens it is best unexpected. Somehow that makes it richer. More poignant. Far better a reward, too.

For instance, take a slip of the tongue. Unexpected and unplanned. It makes a common statement ridiculous and potentially funny. That may lead to a pun offered on the fly which, if it strikes gold, leave the room rolling with guffaws! One can hope! But the result is delicious.

There are times in ordinary days when you meet a small group for breakfast to conduct soft business. Camaraderie heightens the expectations of  pleasantness which sets us all up for fun with people we have not seen recently. Good feelings sprinkled with a little joy creates a ready ground for humor. Early in the morning I find many people hopeful for the humor, you know, delaying the onset of the day’s more serious side. With relief we laugh. Even look forward to it.

How lovely is a laugh!

May your week begin with such. And then carry it forward wherever you go for the rest of the day!

August 31, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment