Monday, March 26, 2018

Finding Peace in Chaotic Times


It seems like an oxymoron, but we can find peace amidst chaos. Actually, we do it every day. Think about it – urban traffic muddled through on each commute, or train schedule, waiting platforms, and crowded trains both getting on and getting off, every day of that commute, and the weather adjusted to for each of its changes. We find private space within those chaotic conditions to feel at one, peaceful.

I admit it is an acquired skill to do this. Many years I waged a four-hour daily commute (round trip); it involved walking on both ends and trains in the middle. It consumed time but I found some of that time could be used for reading. Novels, non-fiction, or backlogged office reading we all attacked each day. Spending the time in that manner gave me peace. I was making progress with the reading on the one hand, and providing release and education on the other. It was not wasted time.

Over the years I came to observe many styles of commuting. Many mastered the art of sleeping on the train. It is an art for the body to know when to awake and get off the train. If it is the end of the line, that’s easy, but just think of sleeping through your stop and prolonging the commute another hour or two?!

That’s commuting! What of other chaos? The schedules and calendars we place on ourselves, and the complications placed on us by others. A sea of commitments and obligations; expectations from others, too. And of course my own expectations. All create chaos. Stress, time pressure, and whatnot. Weather, too; a huge complicating factor, yet most of us get a free pass on such days. We all have the weather to contend with, so common excuses apply for being late or missing appointments.

Chaos in public discussion. Chaos in shopping malls. Chaos in organizations choosing their way in complicated times. How do they all cope? How do we cope? How do I cope?

Answers don’t always work. Several are common: Breathe; meditate; take a break; take a nap; tell a joke and laugh.

Those are all good and very personal. We can all take these actions. It does not require another to accomplish. But when these do not work? What then?

Here’s what I do. It took me decades to learn these, but they work most of the time for me. Not all of the time, most of the time.

1.     I blog. This is a form of venting. I take the time to think things through and commit them to writing. This means I take the thinking seriously. This also means I don’t build up resentments and anger over all issues. I have this way to vent and release the pressure.

2.     I send letters/Facebook messages/text messages to people who need to know how others feel. Especially true if they are the ones who have the influence or authority to do something about the issue. They cannot take your opinion or mine into consideration if we don’t communicate it to them. So I do!

3.     I plan. I know what’s ahead of me and I sort through the tasks and potential complications to identify an action plan that will keep progress moving forward.

4.     I schedule my time with breaks to use to absorb unforeseen problems. This lessens stress. It provides an escape valve for possible chaos.

That’s it. There are other tactics to use such as openness of feelings and communications with those people who matter to us. Some people do that well; I don’t. I need to work on that. My other tactics are in place to lessen the chaos in my life. Perhaps it will help you, too?

March 26, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment