Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Living with Add-ons


Well, not exactly add-ons like a prosthesis leg, foot or arm. More like an attachment for additional anatomical support. Permanent or temporary. And yes I have such a temporary attachment – an old man’s catheter and designer bag in tandem.

Before my shower this morning, I weighed in to see if the retained yuck was weighty. At the clinic Saturday afternoon, they drew off a huge retention pool; my current bag is doing its job. Weight dropped 8 pounds.

This raises a biological research question: what is the relative weight of crap versus piss?

I know; this may be sensitive to some, but factual understanding is sought here. Anyone have any data?

I’m not sure if retained solids is an issue, but the deterrence factor of wearing a bag does tend to restrict one’s urgings. Just saying.

Meantime, my accompanying sore throat, post nasal drip, congested voice box and upper bronchial tube, suggests bronchitis is on the way. So far coughing has kept things clear and also stirred the lower regions to action. We shall see where this leads.

Some will say that writing about such matters is done in poor taste. I tend to agree, but there is a counter argument. That one goes like this: what is it like to wear a catheter and bag for a week or so? I had never encountered this situation, although I have given it some thought. As you approach 75 such matters matter.

So, I cancelled a bunch of appointments and honestly stated the reason why. So far I have received replies which resonate with similar experiences. Even had one fellow who warned of the coming prostate exam and suspicion of evil doings. So I have that ahead of me, but the fellow also said he had prostate surgery so knows the whole score. In short, I have found a support group from the very people I already know!

All this in the day of Facebook, Blogs and other electronic communications. Who’d have thought such 10 years ago?

I must admit this has made the current problem bearable and the source of much humor. Yes, humor. If we can’t laugh at such happenings, I’d say we were poor sports indeed.

Now to find a new rhythm of daily functioning until all of this is behind me. That would be Monday the 14th, unless of course, something else is discovered. Oh well; no one said aging would be easy. It just takes a little courage and a lot of humor.

See you here tomorrow!

May 8, 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment