Monday, June 25, 2018

Due Dates and Deadlines


The month is nearing its end. I know it just started. Look forward to June each year as it is both Fathers’ Day and my birthday month. This year was one of those significant birthdays – 75. Doesn’t seem possible, but neither does the ebbing of the month seem possible. It just started, I swear!

Which then recalls all the things I have yet to do by the end of the month. And the deadlines that beckon based on that work. Will a project move forward or be postponed based on still-lacking elements of the project? Will we be able to fill in the gaps fast enough and expertly, too, to still go forward with the project?

What about all the other things requested to be done. Accepting one role as secretary also gets me filling out reports, building files of saved documents, retrieving older documents, printing and distributing other documents. That doesn’t even include attending all the formal meetings held by the organization; each of these meetings needs minutes taken, transcribed, printed and distributed. More paperwork. Easier in the age of computers, but still the words are said, noted, written, distributed and filed. And retrieved later. You see what I mean? And the excel files created and maintained for on-going work.

I’m supposed to be retired but I’m as busy as a bee (note for younger readers, bee is not a biologic reference, but a metaphor).

Yet the organization is a good one. Busy and moving forward doing its work and serving its mission. This is work needed to be done. Might as well be me to do it. Not enough volunteers willing to do this grunt work; don’t understand why about that, but it is the norm. Ask for a volunteer and it is temporary; maybe even half-hearted.

So the assignment is served and finished for now. On to the next project and tasks related. All in good time. They will get their attention and completion. Eventually these will seem overwhelming but only if I let them. Patience and deep breaths needed.

The email pings and another appointment is requested. When can I meet this person? And where? What’s a convenient site for both of us. Preferably in public where everyone is at ease. And the food and coffee available!

Oh, that’s right, I have another appointment on the same day. Well we will weave the two in with a little time to spare in between.

Wait! Do I know where this site is?  Convenient distance, but is it on the GPS? Do I recall the coffee shop? Ah, yes. I do. Know right where it is. Ok, add to calendar time to get there and back.

Now, back to the backlog of emails. What’s this? A message from an old friend not heard from for 2 years? Well, I’ll save that for this evening and have a good chat via email.

Heck, I haven’t shaved or showered yet. Dishes are clinking so breakfast is near. Dog is walked. Blog is published. Email is caught up. Now for the phone log and messages left.

Retirement? Deadlines? Due dates? What am I doing?

Getting on with the rest of my life. That’s what I’m doing. And working with people and making life better for them and me at the same time. that’s a good payback, don’t you think?

Time for breakfast. See you here tomorrow morning.

June 25, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment