Thursday, July 19, 2018

Soliloquy of the Soul


Or maybe this is about ‘souliloquy’? You know, the inner voice we use to talk with ourselves about all sorts of ideas and topics. These are the items needing some sort of settlement. For our own equanimity, balance.

Hamlet’s lament haunts at times. “To be, or not to be, that is the question.”

A soul-searching query. A plea for help – self or otherwise. His answer is long. It is a classic of Shakespearean dialogue – or unilogue!

The self, yours, mine or another’s, questions itself throughout all of life. I’m sure my mother wondered why she lived so long for what she saw as little purpose. I wonder what my father wondered before dying in hospice. These are seminal moments for each of us. Not shared. Not meant to be. Only for us to think and ponder upon.

The souliloquy – the self talking with the self. Lonely? Not really. Perhaps comforting to sense we all have these conversations. Inner. Alone. Unwitnessed.

Well, maybe God takes a peek? Now and again? Another thought to ponder silently.

We each have much to ponder these days. Not the past. The future. The pull of what is yet to be. Does it have a place for me? Is use a part of that? If so what? And what of others in my life? Am I to be of use to them? How?

What does this planet need right now? Sanity. Peace. Balance. People reaching out to one another. Across borders. Across cultures. To see the same that is in us all?

My soul’s tongue will play with this awhile. And I will not fret. Instead I will delight in the freedom to think, be and ponder reason, truth and use.

And you?

July 19, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment