Monday, September 23, 2019

Political Exhaustion


Saw poll results that concluded Americans are exhausted with the current political climate. As a result, they want Trump gone and a fresh start. This news resonated with me. Readers of this blog know I am no fan of tRump, never have been. There are so many reasons why it is difficult to choose where to start.


I write this blog daily and have always had something to write about. Lately I have tried to be removed from the political circus. It is tiring and inconsequential. All the circus accomplishes is upset and questions. Routines vanish and unknowns posited. Tension grows in place. Answers don’t come. The upset continues and expands.


This is the source of my exhaustion.


But it goes on to other dimensions of the same thing. If trouble is present, what are the solutions? Who will step up to lead us after sorting through the jumbled mess that defines America today?


Well, that’s another problem. We have a chorus of screeching voices saying ‘Vote for me.’ So many voices it is hard to distinguish them one from another. When we finally catch up to the current list of candidates, there are reasons to avoid many. Some are inexperienced. Some are single issue candidates. Many are too old to take on this task. That leaves a few to consider seriously, and I do. Meanwhile the weaker candidates in the polls withdraw from the race. The field of candidates is sizing down to a manageable number.


So, left in my view are: Warren and Buttigieg.  The elders are Biden, Sanders, and well, Warren.  I have had other favorites: Booker, but I hear he is considering withdrawal; Beto O’Rourke, but his traction is slipping; Kamala Harris, but her numbers are falling fast; Andrew Yang, his numbers never took hold. So that leaves Warren and Buttigieg.


Warren’s problem in my view is two-fold: too strident; and too old, although that is marginal. I think she has the right issues in view and holds workable positions on those issues. Her stridency, however, wears me out. I prefer a reasoned approach without the shouting and the urging. I want to consider the issues broadly, research them, come up with options to follow, decide and go after the solution. She frenzies me. Maybe that’s an age thing, maybe not.


Buttigieg is calm, issue oriented, and unruffled in thinking through the logic of our problems as a nation. He is not in a rush to fix everything, and I feel I can trust him in carefully weighing which issues need work first, and which will come later when we have more time and infrastructure to handle them. We need not be in a rush to fix everything. Let’s take our time and do it right.


And for certain, let’s include voices and viewpoints that have been unserved of late.


Yes, Buttigieg is gay. But then, so am I and it doesn’t bother me one bit. Nor should it bother anyone else. His agenda is not gay, but American. He is not running as a gay man, but as an American who has served his country in the military, fought a messy war in an ungovernable place, governed in local grass roots arenas, and struggled with municipal problems which get personal in a hurry.


Hmm. Sounds like I’m supporting Buttigieg for President. Didn’t expect that. Maybe Elizabeth Warren and he can be a winning team in November 2020? And then lead our nation out of its current mess?


Yes, I’ll ponder that match-up and see where it leads. Not ready to be all in yet, but think I’m leaning this way.


September 23, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment