Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Differentness


“Better than” – each of us has muttered that phrase many times in our lives. I know I have. You know this about yourself, too. Admit it.


Maybe it was seeing a beggar on a downtown street, or a drunk reeling from light post to light post. Or maybe a homeless person pushing a dilapidated cart down the street stacked high with junk that was his entire estate. Part of us cringed a little in pity, then worry that this could happen to me. Then the words escape our mind’s lips – I’m better than that.


The ‘that’ is differentness.


That’s it. Different. Not like others. Somehow that thought makes me feel better. I could be worse off, I am better than him, or her, or them. What is the differentness in focus? Is it wealth, health, age, car, home, or something else? Does it focus on appearance? Beauty, ugly, fat or skinny? Or color of skin? Or perceived difference of politics, religion or culture?


Differentness is many things. External features are the shorthand of differentness. Skin color is an easy mark. Once engaged, the mind expands the differentness to other nooks and crannies of life of the other.


The flipside is diversity enriches. Sameness is boring and predictable. Diversity stirs the imagination and appreciation of ideas that are different than mine, maybe better, perhaps enlarging. The world expands through different eyes and experiences, other’s experiences. Why would I cut myself off from such bounty?


Maybe I lack confidence in understanding and appreciating what others have to offer? Maybe I will prove to be ignorant or stupid? If so, best I build a wall around myself to preserve my self-appreciation?


Is this racism? Is this hating differentness? Is this aversion to otherness?


I’m not sure it is, but I think it is a part of it. I shudder that I have felt some of these things. How else could I have written those words? I recognize ideas because of my own sensations. It is work to make it better, to make it positive. Once gained, the appreciation of diversity becomes such a blessing.


Yes, America is racist. Not because it wants to be, but because so many people are frightened of their own lacking and fear of the different. Simple, really; but not simple in working with it. Our history is racist. We came knowing others owned slaves or indentured servants. We looked the other way when slaves were mistreated, or at least our ancestors and fellow countrymen did. Those sins belong to us although we are far removed from them. But vestiges remain, don’t they? Vestiges of injustices unaddressed.


That is what we speak of today. Injustices unaddressed. We are the ones who can do something about that. We inhabit the now. It is our duty to do.


We must invest in diversity and reward the outcomes. It will enrich all of us.


This is so for our Black brothers and sisters. And for our Brown ones, too, and Asian and Native Americans. All have shaped our world deliciously. Admit this and move on to better living.

It is better for all of us.


June 24, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment