Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Bored

It is a new month. I have something to do today, one client appointment and hosting a roundtable session with nonprofits. Other than that, nothing on the schedule. Not much for the rest of the week either, oh, some client appointments and one dental cleaning. This past week wasn’t much busier: one coaching appointment, two client slots and sitting in on a client board meeting to observe dynamics. That’s it.

I awakened this morning to make two cups of coffee, post my blog written a few days ago, and slog through accumulated emails, messages, and Facebook. That’s it. Nothing else. Guess I’ll read a book and finish it. Then what?  I do not know.

The pandemic taught me how to handle much of my client obligations electronically. That gave me the time to focus on writing, thinking, and researching. Did that. All of that. Still have time left over. Sorted through my library, donated many books to the building’s lending library in the lobby (another pandemic project), read other books for the third time and donated them or tossed them. The bookshelves are thinning. Soon I can donate them and continue downsizing.

Still have time to cull through clothing not worn for over two years. They don’t fit anymore and it is time for them to find a new home. Still have time and empty trash bags to fill with useless things. Yet the apartment seems filled with stuff. Does it germinate new old things overnight when I’m not looking? Where did all of this stuff come from?

Still bored. Netflix has been consulted. What is binge-worthy, and what is not? Find something. Watch it. Sheepishly turn off the TV after 3 or 4 hours of time spent. Boredom continues. Is it a mealtime yet?

No? Check for new emails and messages, breaking news or anything on the internet. Still not much. Still bored.

I’d like to travel but Rocky is not up to it. It is questionable that I am up for it. Interested, yes, but energy? Most likely not. Still the view-scapes of yesteryears beckon. The Rockies. The New Mexico desserts and mountains. Arizona canyons, mountains, and deserts. The cloudless blue skies. The whiff of spiced flora. The mystery of unseen fauna (mostly snakes!). Wide open spaces and heat. Shimmering road views and miles of contemplation. The dream remains to visit small towns scattered throughout the country, sit in their cafes and diners, interview some of those folks, and write about the towns and villages encountered on our journey. Perhaps not of interest to most, but I think it fascinating and of potential value.

Well now, the boredom ebbs. Perhaps the keyboard begs for attention? Yep. It does. And here I am.

Journeys are not always by car. Many are by mind.

Happy travels!

August 4, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment