Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Make a Joyful Noise!


When I was a little kid my parents dragged me to church. We sat in the pews and watched the grownups follow the rituals of the congregation. We sat and stood at prearranged times. We even sang. And prayed. A lot of the latter!

One of the things I remember is the phrase – “Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord.”

It took awhile for me to understand that this was an invitation for us to thank God for the good things in life and make a noise to that effect. At times the noise was prayer spoken out loud. Later we said prayers silently but with as much effect as out loud, or at least so I was told!

We also read words in response to what the minister read. And we recited creeds, prayers and other material often throughout the year. On cue, you know. What we were supposed to do was printed in the program or bulletin. Years later I attended church with Roman Catholics and Episcopalians; their congregations erupted periodically with memorized recitations totally unfamiliar to me. But they were taught well. Long recitations spilled from their mouths many times during the service. Not so in protestant churches!

Anyway, the verbal noise aside, there was music. Hymns, anthems, choral introits and cantered liturgy were very much a part of worship services. I liked the music part. I sang along as best I could and later joined the choirs of many churches over the years. I enjoyed the music. Even more, I enjoyed singing. It made me feel good.

Music with feeling became a part of my life. I learned to play the piano and violin with feeling. I learned to listen to music with a feeling ear. It stirred me. It lifted my spirits and lowered them to reverent places, too. Music was a prime element of my life.

It still is. Humming in the shower, or singing fully out loud in the shower, is a daily expression of joy. Driving down the street and singing in accompaniment to the radio is another joyful time.

Music is more than an art. It is a life force, too. Singing or playing an instrument and just making music in general is an expression from deep within the person. It may be soulful, sad or joyous, but no matter; it is still a joyful noise!

It should be heard often as a celebration of life. Perhaps that is why music is such a constant companion of our lives? If so that is a good thing. We should do more of it!

July 29, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment