Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Rabbit Rabbit, Again!


OK. I’ll re-explain what Rabbit! Rabbit! is.

Shortly after graduating from college (many suns ago!) a young woman called me early in the morning before I arose to go to work. All she said was ‘rabbit! rabbit!). Of course, I said ‘huh?’ And she explained that good luck is experienced by those who utter the words ‘rabbit, rabbit’ first thing on the first day of the new month to someone they love. The appropriate response, of course, is ‘rabbit! rabbit!’

So consider yourself greeted properly on this first day of the month of July, 2015. The year is half over and we have another six months of excitement remaining in 2015! Aren’t you glad you asked?

Well, anyway, here we are blogging away on another morning. Outside my peep hole the hallway is mostly dark. Looking the other direction, however, the sun has yet to make its appearance in our neighborhood but almost. The mist of a foggy, humid summer night is present and will burn off by 8 am. We have had much rain in the past 2 months so puddles remain in empty lots and poorly maintained parking lots. The trees and shrubs are luxuriant in leafdom! They are prospering. Abundantly so. Beautiful.

So it is early on a promising summer morning. The forecast is for 75 degrees with moderate humidity around 50%. Storms undoubtedly will sweep through from time to time this afternoon and evening. Otherwise this is the summer weather we dreamed about on cold winter mornings. Remember those? They will return in their time, of course. Meanwhile, we will appreciate the now and its easy surroundings.

I have made the commitment to write a book. It will be based on all my blogs over the past three and a half years. That’s plenty of material to cull for a book’s contents. But the work still needs to be done. First is the culling. Much of what I have written is opinion – mad and outrageous at times – in reaction to appalling happenings in our culture and society. I admit much of the reaction is due to political ideology run amok – not mine! Others!  Oh please!

The second task is discovering the theme for the book. This will hopefully lead to an appropriate title. I’ve played around with possible titles. Some even sound good.  Enough so to write a book about! Well, now there’s a thought!

No, the real problem is screwing up the motivation to do this work.

Some would say that writing a book is very difficult. I’d counter by saying it is really very easy. Especially if you are fast with words and have good word processing skills.  I have both of those attributes. And, I’ve got upwards of 800,000 words already published in the blogs. So culling really is the task at hand. What material from that mass of utterance is worth a book? I’m not at all sure.

One title I’ve played with is “The Script Has Changed”. This refers to the societal temper dealing with politics in America. I’m suggesting the old politics is fading and a new brand of political thinking is building. This is all supposition on my part, of course. I have no crystal ball telling me what the future will be. After all we only have our wits to help us in this matter.

Now, I’m not the least bit bashful about placing my wits on display. If my thinking is right, I’ll be taken as a brilliant author and social forecaster. If my thinking is terribly wrong, I’ll be viewed as a lunatic at worst, but quite likely an accidental comic with absurd takes on reality! Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart would be the models for that happy accident!

Of course I could be seen as the counter to Ann Coulter! She is absurd by choice, only angry and sly. Creepy sly, don’t you know? That makes her amusingly evil and thus a ratings queen in select quarters! But then, I’m not sure I could play opposite her starring role. It’s just too creepy!

I do sense a tidal wave of change happening in America as I write this blog. My America has finally accepted Gay Marriage. My America also respects and accepts gay people along with straight and kinky and everything in between. Just as long as these folks, mainstream or not, do not do harm to others. That’s all we ask. All of us.

That leaves us with the time and energy to focus on other issues of importance. And I sense the American people want this change to mean something. The change will leave some folk in isolation as they struggle to understand what has happened to them. Oh some will strap bombs to their vests and threaten the rest of us. Others will jump into a life of crime and nastiness. But the vast majority of people will get behind what matters the most to us all.

The very first decision or realization to be made is simply this: Do we focus on the global community or just us, America? I know this discussion has to take place. I know there will be frustrations and defensiveness on display. People have to work those out of their systems. I do have faith, however, that the majority will decide to focus on global issues not narrow, national concerns. The latter are appropriate to be concerned about, but they exist in the environment of the former. So it is proper that we deal with the whole reality.

Let’s make that the Global Community.

Well, we are off to a great start! Now if there’s a title in there somewhere, I have the start of something worthwhile?  Only time will tell. And you! If you think it’s OK, then I’m half way home.  Oh do say it is true!

Meanwhile, Rabbit! Rabbit!

July 1, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment