Thursday, August 23, 2012

Expansions



Feet grow. Even when you are an aging adult. Who’d a thunk it?

OK. There is a story behind that line. Here it is.

I’ve complained to my team of doctors that my feet hurt, ankles tire easily and, in fact, the feet are partially numb. This has slowed my gait and reduced physical activity. As the weight piled onto my limbs the doctors told me to eat less, exercise more and lose the weight.

Finally, my partner Rocky let me accompany him to his quarterly foot doctor visit. He is a diabetic and Medicare pays for close attention to feet. His podiatrist is connected with a renowned orthopedic clinic so I thought I’d seek some advice. Two months later I had my own appointment for an assessment of my feet.

She prodded them and x-rayed them; she listened to my complaints. Her diagnosis: compression of nerves in the ankle, slight edema in ankle, and a growing presence of arthritis in the feet. This explains some of the symptoms but not all. Further discussion uncovered the basic fact that feet continue to grow throughout our lifetime, although slower as we age. Elderly experience a spreading of the feet as well.

Long story short: I had long fit my feet to shoes sized 10 and a half A (narrow). The doctor recommended a visit to a sports shoe retailer for an accurate fit. When I arrived at the New Balance store, they measured my feet at 12 and a half with a D width! I was shocked.

Moments later I was walking the store in new walkers of the proper size and marveled at their comfort and how easy my feet performed. I wore the shoes home like a kid! Even ordered a second pair for dressy occasions.

A day later I could feel the improvement and figured after a few months I ought to have more spring in my step, less pain and the willingness to walk regularly without fear of pain.

How simple. How basic. Now, all of you in reader-land, raise your hands if you knew feet continued to grow throughout adulthood!  I thought so; it was news to you, too.

So spread the word. Feet grow and spread. Proper shoe sizing is well worth checking. Now all I have to do is find a new home for my shoe wardrobe worth well over $2000! Anyone interested?

August 23, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment