Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Heart, Mind & Soul


Picking a topic to write about has been easy these past four years. Ridiculously easy!

I have a new SCORE client who writes a blog and needs help on writing content on a continuous basis. She is having trouble focusing and coming up with topics that are easily digested in a blog’s daily post. Maybe 500 words, or perhaps 700? What’s the right length for one day’s post? And then again, how does this post lead to others in a long stream of future content?

My blog does not focus on one topic. It is rather a commentary on the daily issues of our time. Each of those issues is infinite when you pause to think about it. And another aspect of this is each topic pulls at different aspects of our personal lives, too.

Think about it. Some topics tickle my curiosity and intellectual probing. Another topic goes directly to the heart – caring and reaching out, healing others, making them feel better – that sort of thing. This attraction is rewarding. It comforts me with the reminder that we human beings do care about others when we don’t feel threatened ourselves.

And the soul. The most innermost part of our being where few are allowed to enter. This is the inner sanctum in which we think about the formation of our own secret life, the wonder about meaning, self worth, aspirations to fill a lifetime with joy and relevance. Are we good, or wounded, or hale and hardy? Are we adventuresome? What about our ability to care for anything outside of ourselves? Isn’t that what love is all about? If we love we are able to extend outside our minds and skin?

But if we receive love, feel love, what then does that say about our innermost sanctum?

Heart, mind and soul – these three are the well springs of many topics to explore. And that is what this blog does. Oh, I know! I am not always in balance and spring from one topic to the next. And then there are some topics that so disturb me that I rant on and on for days.  Sorry about that!  I really don’t want to burden you. Yet I find it necessary to spill such beans because they bother me if I leave them stewing inside for too long.

The beauty of an active mind – yours, mine and theirs – is that we have much to think about. We also have much to make of things. Not all topics act on us; we act on the topics, too. We are both actors and audience on the stage of life. I’m not the first or last person to pen that phrase. Nothing original here. Just the reminder that life is a mystery for each of us to solve. And thus the cornucopia of blog topics appear!

It really isn’t magic.

I once had a group of parishioners ask me how I came up with ideas for sermons (I have guest preached a few times; I’m not a minister!). Truly my answer to them is simple: I don’t come up with the topics; they raise themselves to be worked.

Working them is my job. I have found that allowing natural human emotions and feelings to percolate on any topic provides abundant thoughts on just about any subject. So writing a sermon or writing a blog, knowing what’s important at any particular moment spurs us on to think, feel and search.  Once done the fingers dance over the keyboard and you witness the result. Magic? Not even close.

It’s not only logic, but its like math and that’s close to physics. As my kids would chime in – It’s basic physics, guys. Just basic physics!

October 7, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment