Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Battling Cable

Let’s see now, our AT&T cable bill was $95 per month including taxes. This included our wi-fi computer internet service coupled with our wi-fi cable service. This was a special package rate that was up on July 17. Shortly thereafter we were notified that our service contract cost would be billed at $157 plus taxes, or $170 or so per month. We knew we couldn’t afford that so took action.

My plan was to cut the cable cord entirely. I would retain internet service as is, then buy an electronic TV antenna for hi definition signals of local stations. They say those things work well and that would keep us in network and news contact. We have a Netflix video streamer and pay $9.99 per month for that. It gives us access to unlimited streaming of a jillion shows or so (seems like it!). Many shows are series of things we really like such as HGTV programs, DIY and FYI shows. And a lot more – Chasing Classic Cars, cooking shows, and tons more.

So my thought was to go to basic cable, or none at all with the help of the electronic antenna with HD signals. Then the streamer. Then use the computer with a hook up to the TV screen for current shows unavailable except by cable. Many people tell me this is a workable solution and costs a tiny fraction of what we are now paying.

So, yesterday we called AT&T and went to town. Ended up again in the customer retention center (clever name, don’t you think?) and they did their best to retain us. In fact they did mainly because Rocky was staring me down hard to keep cable! If he isn’t on the computer he’s on the TV. So he needs cable he says.

So we cut our services and got another rate package and what was better and used to cost us $95 a month is now going to cost us $117 per month plus taxes. That should add another $10 or $12 per month.  $127 to $129. Still outrageous in my book.

This morning I received an email confirmation of my order. It will cost me $160 per month plus taxes. If I get a bill of that amount I’m not sure what I’ll do. I think their email was a mistake, so I printed it out and will confront them with the facts later if needed.

So, I did battle with the cable company and lost. And then I lost again. Is there no shame at AT&T? Or at any of the other cable companies as well? Here’s the deal: nearly all TV programming today is aimed at the lowest common denominator. I don’t live at that level of life, so I am offended by 80% of the programming and usually don’t watch it. I prefer doing something on the computer or reading an actual book with pages (what a concept!) or take a nap. I do a lot of volunteer work so I am not trapped at home with the boob tube. But there is only so much volunteer work I should do without losing control of my life as a whole. Rocky, on the other hand, doesn’t do that. All he has is a hobby and TV. Grontch!!

So HELP! What are the rest of you doing to control the cable monster?

I think we should have special cable rates for seniors. We can’t buy food, meds and cable. There are not enough dollars for that. It means we must be discerning consumers. I think cable should be cut to zero while we find another connection via the internet. I don’t care if the selection is few, just as long as the programs have value and intellectual content. I know I’m asking a lot, but hey, is this the greatest nation on earth or not?  By TV standards it is NOT! But that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, please share your secrets to controlling cable costs. I’m getting desperate here. My next move will be to keep internet service and cut cable to the public stations without DVR and HD. May have to do that yet.

Thanks for listening. Even more thanks if you actually share a workable idea!


August 3, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment