Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Can we Talk?

Alert: this is not a rip off of Joan Rivers. I really do need to talk with you. I need you to listen, and hopefully you will respond so I have something to listen to as well.

Here’s the situation: I see my nation and society – and all of its subdivisions and subdivisions of those subdivisions – ignoring what’s happening. To all of us. Not just me. And I know you will say “its happening to me, too” so what’s the big deal.

Well, the big deal is…simply put…no don’t get angry or miffed…no one is doing anything about what is happening. Don’t say you are doing something about it; I’ve been on the front lines of this and I see far too many people ignoring the realities. So, please listen up!

Two things are happening that give me angst.  The first one you know about – Trump and his supporters and family. I think they are harming our nation, but I also know our nation has rules, laws and procedures to handle this problem. This is not political. It is not ideological. Although both of those are major issues involved with Trump-ism, I think what’s happening is quite basic. Control of our nation is the name of that basic issue. And we have tools at the ready to manage the situation.

Yes, the courts – both of oak paneled walls, and public opinion – are already in action. Soon enough the nasty business of impeachment will be placed into action.

So, although I’m upset with Trump and Trumpism, I think it is containable and manageable.

So on to the other happening that is riling my otherwise peaceful mind.

Change and adaptation to it.

All too many Americans are ignoring this. Yes, change is everywhere and 24/7/365. Always has been. The only difference between now and any other time is speed of change. The pace is rapid and unstoppable.

If we aren’t ready to change with the flow, or adapt quickly enough, we will be run over and spit out. Then rebuilding our lives will be much more difficult. I’m talking basics here.

Are you ready for keyless cars? They’ve been around now several years. But are you ready for keyless homes? Yes, that is coming very very soon. Are you ready to open your home via electronics, phone, eyeball reader, or fingerprint reader? And then, what do you do when you lose some of those things, or the power is out? [Yes, you can lose an eye and a finger along with the 'print' of same! So then what do you do as Plan B?]

I thought of this specific think and came up with back up battery power for my locks or power grid for my home. That may be too costly for me, so I’d better have yet another Plan B!

On an even more basic level, however, what are you going to do for a job, an income? If technological change upends your employer, what then do you do for a living? Are you prepared to help your employer adapt to the change and survive? Or is it too late for the employer’s business and it will be swept away entirely?

You should be keeping up on such changes. You should be reading about what’s happening in the world and keep an eye and ear attuned to what might be of special importance or threat to you personally.

Career change is a real issue. Just ask guidance counselors at high schools, and intake counselors at admission offices at colleges and universities? What does the student plan on doing for a career or life’s mission? Does such an activity exist in the world of commerce to snap up his offering to work? What will the student need to study to prepare for a career she loves and will adapt to all the changes that will undoubtedly occur to that career profile in time? Will such students – once employed after graduation – be alert to changes that may dislocate them from the activities and interests they love? How will they handle such intimations of change?

I think our community colleges, four-year colleges and universities, should be championing this entire arena. It is a major challenge now. It will continue to be one for the long term. How do we prepare and nurture students to survive and prevail through thick and thin?

Remember: we have millions of dislocated careerists this very moment. They lost their jobs in the past 9 years since the onset of the Greatest Recession. Those folks are not faring very well. Many are working at jobs well below their education and training. But that education and training is not appropriate for the new jobs popping up as a direct result of change.

Imagine that! My thesis is proven. So what do we do about it now?

Hmmmmm?

May 30, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment