Friday, March 27, 2020

Vulnerabilities


I know I’m safe when I can be myself. I feel safe when the people around me accept me for who and what I am. No judgments. Just acceptance.


In that space/place, I can be vulnerable. I can give witness to my flaws and shortcomings. I can be the real me with all my hurts, weaknesses, and fears. These are the things with me always; I must learn to live with them and surpass them. It is the struggle I face; I suspect it is the same with most people.


Vulnerabilities are a special gift. The ache hones my senses to remain honest. My senses are open to the pain of others. Our humanness is better understood in those moments. It is something we can share without retribution.


The opposite is true also. If I am not safe with my vulnerabilities in some settings, then I am distant from others. They sense it; I feel it. Our communication is not totally honest. We are guarded. Something is off. We are not able to be ourselves with each other.


Feeling safe should be present in alone time with myself; also with my significant other; and close family members. Best friends are included here as well.


Hopefully my workspace is where I feel safe, but then career competition makes that difficult. The best working relationships are those where the players are synched with their personalities and vulnerabilities, their mutual trust. Great things are accomplished by such teams of people.


Church is a place of hope – hope for love, acceptance and safety of self.


Is your church that kind of place? Do you feel safe there? Are the people accepting of you or merely tolerant? Can you tell the difference? Are you welcomed? Do you feel affirmed? Does the worship message and espoused creed embrace you? Fulfill you? Enable your full being to step forward into the potential of life? Is there an active effort for the church to make each person welcome in their midst?

If you feel safe there, that's great. However, if church attendance is dwindling, the message may be your church is failing to truly welcome the walking wounded. That would be all of us. None of us are perfect or free of wounds.

The answer is: love one another. Love others as you would want them to love you. Do this and watch your church grow and prosper.

The same principle ought to be operable throughout our society. None are perfect. All are worthy.

Think about our mutual vulnerabilities in the many hours at home we now have during this pandemic.


Amen!


March 27, 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment