Saturday, March 28, 2020

Vulnerable and Creative


Yesterday I wrote of being vulnerable. Today I take another step forward. How does being vulnerable lead to creativity?


Simple. When I am vulnerable, I feel the world around me; I feel the needs around me, not my needs, but others’. In that state of awareness, I can see, hear, smell and feel much more. Those senses are input to my thinking and knowing the moment. In such times I am able to work with all the components of a problem or need. Responding to that gestalt allows me to think broadly on possible solutions.


The intersection of reality and the brain is stimulus for creative thinking.


If a team is in synch with each other they will feed off each other and expand the intersection with creativity. But first they must trust one another in their vulnerability. Can they? Do they? If not, they will accomplish little together.


Creativity is a process. Knowing an issue or a problem; fully understanding it. Realizing the need for change. Envisioning what would be a better outcome. ‘Seeing’ those possibilities, those desired outcomes. Next comes imagining how to get from the present to the desired end result. Working backwards from that point is tactical. The former is strategic.


This type of thinking and acting comes only in a safe place. For one or many persons, safety must embrace all of our vulnerabilities if we are free to create.


These are not easy things to live with or be a part of. Trust is not easy. Mutual trust is very difficult to have and retain with others. Without trust, work teams may accomplish tactical tasks but not strategic transformations. The latter is what we all need going forward.


So how do we gain trust? That’s a great question! Here are some dependencies to do that:


1.      In a team setting (family, friends, work, association, church, etc.) state openly whether you feel safe or not.

2.      Encourage others to match your statement with their own sense of safety.

3.      Discuss with the team your vulnerabilities and need for acceptance. Exercise courage to do this; let its presence speak of your honesty.

4.      It they are seeking safety they will respond with their own vulnerabilities.

5.      This will build a bond of honesty. If not, then the team is wounded and unable to fully complete its task.


This is what it takes to live in The Brave New World. If that is your desire, prepare for hard work and risk taking. But relish the results! I think you will be amazed.


March 28, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment