Friday, February 12, 2021

Bits and Pieces

A few items to mention.

First, Monday afternoon I get my first COVID vaccine shot. Second will be automatically scheduled for follow up.

Second, my granddaughter has been accepted by Oxford University for a foreign exchange term in her junior year of college! Totally surprised, stunned, and pleased to death. Way to go Lindsay!!

Third, I am holding my own during the pandemic. Of course, I am concerned about long term health issues that could occur; Rocky has diabetes, Parkinson’s, and a few more things plus two-time survivor of cancer surgery. I’m his caregiver and if anything happens to me, what happens to him?

However, the greatest threat to our well-being are these issues: mental health and boredom.

For boredom I read, volunteer a lot for SCORE, and watch documentaries on TV streaming services. These activities keep my brain from rotting. I just might exit pandemic social distancing more informed than when I entered.

Mental health issues would include depression from isolation and minimal social interaction. My tactic is to remain active in SCORE whereby I coach, mentor, and motivate entrepreneurs to start their own business, or help struggling business owners survive major challenges. That work is very rewarding. It is totally volunteer but that does not detract from the creativity and value of the work done for the benefit of others. The depth and breadth of the work means I am never bored. The interaction of so many people keeps me from being isolated as well.

Of course, writing this blog allows me to ventilate my frustrations encountered daily. The most obvious frustration is the inability of our federal and state governments to operate openly, honestly, and logically. Political power and corruption remain a constant problem. Our current Senate and House of Representatives demonstrate their inability to get along and share power, so the right things are accomplished for the American people in a timely manner. They continue to be an embarrassment to themselves and our nation. Writing about it reduces my own stress. I feel better doing this and my mental health is steady. I still lose my cool about these matters but at least I have a means to unload the pressure!

Thanks for allowing me to do so!

February 12, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment