Thursday, February 25, 2021

Dentist Day

On Christmas Day a tooth broke off. Nothing dramatic, just a tooth losing its grip on self and falling away. I thought it was a nut casing and so swallowed it. Later I realized the tooth had broken off. This is the sexy part of growing old.

Anyway, I felt no pain. So, I ignored it. The other day I went with Rocky to have his denture repaired. While doing that I chatted with the dentist. I asked about the cost of a crown on what is left of my tooth. He said $1400 to $1800.

I was shocked. Then he told me the remainder of the tooth could turn into a large problem if left unattended, so I made an appointment for today to have him assess the situation. Knowing me this will be a bigger deal. Removal of the tooth. Implanting a tooth based into the bone. Installing a fake, permanent tooth to the new base. I’ll just bet you the cost will be close to $2000.

Well, I will not have all of that done. Too much cost.

I remember visiting my dad in his final year of life, of course we did not know that at the time. But, at supper, he broke off a tooth. It pained him so he made a dental appointment for the next day. They affixed a metal receptor stub on the remaining base of the tooth. They took a cast for a fake tooth to screw to the new stub. On checking out, he asked for the bill. It was $1800. He was visibly shocked. Blanched. Paled. Then wrote a check.

Five months later dad died. I will always remember the shocked look on his face for that dental repair. He surely flashed on the irony of paying so much for something that would be of little use to him to the near future. And he was right. At the time he did not know he would fall and break a cervical vertebra that could not be fixed.

Something in me recalls this experience. The futility of repairing a broken tooth that has no pain at my current age but will cost a fortune to repair, unsettles me. I do not know what decision I will make when it comes down to the moment. But I am betting on a cheaper option. If pain comes later, I will deal with it then. Meanwhile, if I die without the full fix, what does it matter?

This is not about dignity of appearance. It is a matter of practical finances. I’ll let you know what the consequences are when I know them. Meanwhile, welcome to the Golden Years!

February 25, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment