Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Political Identity

I receive a lot of internet surveys. Most of them are political. I am asked my views on a host of topics, and always questions about prioritizing issues. Clearly, they want to categorize me as a Republican, Democrat or Independent. Often, they are trying to slot me as a conservative, liberal, centrist or some extremist. Truth be told, it is hard for me to find a comfort zone in these surveys.

Why? Because although I am a centrist (middle of the roader), I am also a thinker and analyzer. Surface issues do not always spell a good long-term view toward a better outcome. I do not like abortion, but I accept it and wish it to be used intelligently by women struggling with the decision.  I prefer doctors to help but do not think it is mandatory they do. My view is long-term. I want pregnancies to be wanted. I do not want babies to be abused, unwanted and trashed. Bottom line: abortion not used as birth control, but all babies wanted and loved. Try placing that answer on a survey.

Also, timing of the survey is important. I have changed my viewpoint many times during my life. I started out as a rabid conservative and a Republican when I was a teenager. Later in college I shifted to the center, then farther to the liberal camp when I realized conservatives needed firm opposition if they were ever to understand the issues properly. Still later, in my 20’s and 30’s, I became firmly centrist although still a Republican.

In the mid 80’s I walked away from Republicans and became an independent. Since there is no such party, I tended to vote for Democrats. Still, I counted myself an independent. Of course, election law labels me by the ballot I take in primary elections; thus, I am officially a Democrat. That label does not upset me especially now with the Republicans being far too extremist and conservative.

I am not alone. Many of us do not identify as conservative or liberal but others insist on labeling us anyway. Extreme positions are usually not long lasting by anyone except oddballs. Extremist views short term usually happen as a person suddenly understands the why of a position as opposed to the current happenstance of the issue. Once the nuances are merged into their thinking, an individual usually tends toward moderation. Only when their desired position seems hopelessly lost are they likely to turn to an extremist view in frustration.

Your political views and mine are temporary. They move about as time and context change. And our understanding of the issues in depth. Surveys are helpful but not always accurate.

Perhaps we all need to discuss these matters in more detail with an open mind and civility. Political parties seem to have missed the boat on that point.

February 3, 2021

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment