Saturday, December 3, 2011

Security

Security is a funny topic. What makes me feel safe? What makes someone else feel safe? Are they the same? How do we find out? And what do we do with this information? Mull it over?

Situation shapes the topic. When in the presence of a parent as a young child, security is knowing they are there, touchable and embraceable; they will watch over you and save you from threats real or imagined. Is there a vicious dog ready to attack? Is it safe to ride my bike in that neighborhood? Is there an ogre under my bed that comes out only after dark? Are mom or dad handy to help whatever that truth?

Am I safe at school. Will a bully threaten me? How will I react? Will I do myself proud, or slink away, run and hide? And then how do I manage the shame? Can I find friends who will buffer me from those threats? How reliable will they be in doing that?

How well do I handle the dating process to select a mate for life? Will she be kind and understanding? Will she support me in my self doubts? Will we become life partners safe to explore our souls together? Will this last? Or will this possibly force us apart? And then how do I survive that insecurity?

Having children. Huge responsibility for another life or lives. Helping them grow to maturity so they can self sustain, lead healthy and happy lives in an otherwise turbulent world. How do I provide the security for them that my parents gave to me? Will it be enough? Can I fend off their bullies or help them become their own defenders? Did I do that well enough when I was young? What makes me think I can do it better for them?

Job security. Paycheck security. Financial strengths, keeping them and building them stronger. Insuring against the unknown. To protect the life mate and children. Will they be protected if something happens to me? Meanwhile, can I build enough security to help them grow up, become educated, create their own career path, find a mate and self sustain their own lives?

How do I build security of neighborhood? Where neighbors respect each other and help each other build a strong and healthy place to live? How does that build security for the community? How does one build community security? With who and what resources? How much alone, how much in collaboration with others?

What threats in the broader society exist that will threaten me, my family, my neighborhood, my community? What do I or we do about that.

Security. Safe to be. By oneself or with the strength of a group. What do I do about this? We do about it?

My dog seeks my companionship. She plops in my lap, sometimes for an hour or two. Deep asleep. Or at night, snuggles against my leg all stretched out. Do I give her comfort, or does she to me? Is this security?

All’s well with the world. Or is it?

December 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment