Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Good End!

Beginnings start with an end to something else. So let’s start there.

2011 was a year of change for me. Health issues continued to have an effect but improved prognosis hinted at a better future. Financial issues came to a head and my mortgage was modified by Fannie Mae making it affordable on my Social Security income. As the lower mortgage payments came along, my credit union helped me get out of an expensive auto loan on my Mercedes, helped me sell the car and buy a used car (all through Enterprise) with low miles and excellent pedigree. This lowered my auto payments over $300 a month. Additional budget cuts allowed us to live within our means as business income dropped to near zero. Rocky sold his car and we converted half of the garage to become his ceramic studio; that saved $100 per month in art co-op studio fees. We were on a roll and living within our income, just barely.

Health expenses continued to spiral upward and that forced us to economize with household expenses, food and medications. Frank discussions with doctors helped us lower their fees and prescription costs, too. So we ended the year kind of OK.

Along the way the Village Chronicles newspaper completed another year of publication in fine style (I’m managing editor). We championed good local government and continued to support community health and enrichment. The local chamber of commerce (I’m on the board) was successfully combined with a neighboring chamber in a business plan designed to strengthen community economics and merger of other nearby chambers. One year later our new chamber is well positioned, financially sound and currently welcoming a third chamber into the fold. The Park District (I’m on the board) is doing well meeting the needs of the community while husbanding public resources intelligently. The church continues to flourish. The Warrenville Arts Council completed its second year of full operation and is well ensconced in its third season. Our major challenge will be weathering the loss of our president and co-founder as we enter the New Year.

And of course I began writing this blog in October 2011. So far I feel good about its progress. This posting is my 96th consecutive post! So I have not run out of steam yet.

Actually the blog is an experiment for me; can I clarify my thinking so I can adjust my creative handling of a mass of topics? Can I make myself understood to others on these same topics? Is there a core of a book hidden in all of this? If so, will I write a book and actually get around to publishing it? Will it be any good?

Well who’s to know? The trick is to just take this whole process one day at a time, one topic at a time. And so far that’s working just fine.

Oh yes, 2011 ends my 6th year of non-smoking. And shortly thereafter in winter of 2012 will be my 6th year of sobriety. So far so good!

I guess a good summary of 2011 for George S is: It was a year of continued progress toward the future. Tough work was completed and started; good things are piling up!

I hope the same or better can be said of your 2011!

Now we can start 2012 fresh!!

December 31, 2011  

No comments:

Post a Comment