Friday, December 16, 2011

'Tis the Season!

I don’t know if you readily greet others with Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, or any other common greeting at this time of year. There are those who apparently keep track of these things. A recent headline on the Internet proclaimed ‘Christians Winning ‘War on Christmas’”. This was used along with a photo of Macy’s front door at its main Manhattan store with a gigantic “Believe” plastered across the façade of the building.

I don’t know what you think the ‘believe’ is representing, but I think it covers these phrases:
  • Believe in the magic of Christmas
  • Believe in this special season of the year
  • Believe in the ways that give kids a boost of magic
  • Believe in the good of this season that makes for our caring for each other more prevalent
I do not perceive a religious theme in the ‘believe’ word. I do not see Merry Christmas as a specific religious greeting. I attach a universal meaning of peace and love and acceptance for all people at this time of year.

I have many Jewish friends. For them a hearty Happy Holidays is a nice touch. I really don’t know if I have Muslim friends or not; but Happy Holidays would be a good greeting for them as well. In fact, it’s a good reminder to us all that we do not believe in the same religious concepts or creeds or catechisms. We are a very diverse group, we Americans. And that’s a large part of why we are special.

Perhaps the headline writer was trying to capture attention. If he was, he succeeded. I admit it. But I object to his sensibility and here’s why.

First, why do we pick at sore subjects when doing so does no earthly good? In my view it is mean spirited. It goads people. It burns up emotional energy best left to doing something good.

Second, there is no war on Christmas that I am aware of. I know there are people who believe narrowly that America is a Christian nation. It is not. By the US Constitution it is not. Christianity is one of many religious traditions contained within the American culture. It is celebrated and valued along with Judaism, Islam, Hindu, and all the others. Not one before the other. Nor one after the others. But equal matters of personal commitment to make their life journey vibrant and soulfully successful.

As well as for those who are absent belief in God or any religion.

Ours is a pluralistic society. We are each free to believe what we will, and practice it faithfully as long as it does no harm to others.

Third, if this is a season of ‘peace on earth and goodwill toward men’, why would we purposefully act to the contrary? It’s bad form and definitively not a Christian behavior.

So, let me be clear. It is not funny or clever to write headlines designed to get someone’s attention by also getting another’s goat. That is cheap and narrow minded. We are better than that.

In closing, I sincerely hope for each and every one of you a dear, warm, sincere and meaningful season that feeds your sense of well being, soul health, and religious convictions. May this be a time of wonderment on life and all that is good within it!

December 16, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment