Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Moments Altered Your Thinking?

Think back a ways, maybe several years. What were the moments that caused you to rethink something? Or gave you a totally new view of the world, or nation, or life….or you fill in the blank!
For me I can think of several moments. With more thought I no doubt could come up with a longer list. But let’s just look at these for now.
  1. Sputnik successfully orbits Earth; Russia beats America to space
  2. Birth of my daughter; and son
  3. Berlin Wall erected; sobering Cold War symbol
  4. Boston Symphony concerts at Tanglewood during the late 1950’s
  5. Summer Stock theater in the Berkshires, also in the late 1950’s
  6. Grand Canyon; several times visiting over several decades
  7. Sitting in the alone quiet of the Mojave Desert, late 1940’s
  8. Removal of Berlin Wall
At first glance this may be an odd list. For instance what is missing? The usual guideposts of life: graduation from several levels of education; marriage; divorce; sexuality issues and moments of discovery; career achievements; enrolling at the seminary; so many things that can be on the list, but these, as important as they are in my life, are not the immediate items that came to mind. Interesting.
Perhaps the list would change if I had written it yesterday, or tomorrow? Situational stimuli do make a difference, surely. But let’s work with the eight items on the list.
  1. Sputnik gave me and America a wake up call. We were not alone in the world. There was also the vast space beckoning for exploration. This was an awakening to intellectual thinking and technological skill. If a rival nation could beat us at this, then what were we doing wrong? Where was our talent? Where was our sense of excellence? What unknown frontiers were we ignoring? What was missing? Yes, Sputnik was an important happening in our history. It meant a lot to our national sense of self; but it also alerted us to the inner self where we dreamed, learned, understood, and grew. What was my challenge? What would I become? What was I willing to work at or give up in order to become a more fulfilled person? I thought that way back then as a teenager. For me it was a serious time. I came to view the world broadly, expansively, intellectually, personally.
  2. Birth of both of my kids. Very personal time. Shared of course with my wife Ann, but still a very personal moment. Bringing new life into being. Having a different person dependent on your efforts to support a life and its development. Nurturing. Developing. Caring for. Making room for in my life. Adding to my universe. The rewards, challenges; the good and bad; the ups and downs. The successes built on years of doing. Brilliant really. Precious in many personal moments.
  3. Berlin Wall represented a sobering reality; we had national enemies. Stark and cold. Seemingly impenetrable and unfeeling. Childish behavior; world peace rests on such small minded moments? This was the time of my freshman year in college. I was studying the world formally. I was trying to find my place in it. For the long term. And yet at the beginning of this phase, the Berlin Wall. Stultifying. Stupid. Crass. It cautioned my thinking. This was a reality we needed to contend with.
  4. Teenage years in western Massachusetts. Tanglewood – summer home of the Boston Symphony – practically in our backyard. My folks and I attended concerts throughout the summer. And small ensemble concerts as well. The unfolding of large, complex music. Music in the mind and soul. Personhood developing. Emotions swelling, with the music, in juxtaposition to it; the inner life; intellectual awakenings. Surging. Presenting themselves to me in an ever rolling manner; for years. Still goes on. Stunning beautiful addition to my being. Music. Serious and complex. Simple threads of melody emerging; tempos echoing their pulse. Special experiences.
  5. Western Massachusetts contains the Berkshire Mountains. Pittsfield is the county seat. It is home to so much history of the nation, but also the seat of much culture. Jacob Pillow Dance Theater, Tanglewood, South Mountain Music Festival, summer stock theater throughout the region. College and university campuses seemingly everywhere. Historic markers from the 1600’s and 1700’s. Depth of roots. Depth of soul. Music, theater, art. The inner person struggling to speak, to feel, to be. Summer stock theater saw visiting stars and lesser known players presenting drama in intimate spaces. The characters vying on stage as parallel to personal drama on the inner stage of the mind. It awakened feelings, emotions, deep and broad. The agenda building of a life. Trying to understand it; making it work for me; as model?
  6. Vastness of space on Earth – The Grand Canyon. I visited it as a small youth; again many times at different times of my life. Adolescent, teenager, young adult, middle adult, late adult. Each time seminal. Each time reminding me of the vastness of life and the intricacies of being a person on the planet. It is simple, yet very complex. The silence of the Grand Canyon. The huge space; long vistas; depth of the canyon’s one mile chasm. The enormity of it all. The smallness of me. Yet the relativity. Profound moments of seeing and feeling and thinking. Pondering.  Good stuff!
  7. Related to the Grand Canyon – living on the Mojave Desert as a very young child. Still I remember outings with the family. They would hike off to various viewpoints. We’d drive off road to very lonely spots. Some were vast vistas of flat open land. Starkly plain. Others were huge rock outcroppings; with deep chasms. I remember sitting in one of the latter areas; family members were off a short distance. I couldn’t see them, but I could hear their occasional voicings. For me: silence; stillness. Let me state that again: STILLNESS, profound, enormous. Blue sky above. An occasional bird but very few. Some twiggy low plants wavering in the breeze. The sough of the wind-breeze; constant, a caress of dry warm air on bare legs and arms. Warmth. No snakes, but I watched for them! No water. Alone. Solitude. A basic sense of nothingness but ‘everythingness.’ And the beginning of a sense of self in this aloneness. Secure yet insecure. Interesting dichotomy. 
  8. Tearing down the Berlin Wall stated the world was ready for working together, collaborating on life into the future. An international maturity marker had been made. For all to see. We could move on now. With caution, but we could contemplate a future that contained more of everyone. Inclusive. Expansive.
You see what I mean. Moments in our lives that gift us with special insight? Change our life? Make us uniquely us, each and every one.
What moments are yours?
April 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment