Monday, April 2, 2012

Thinking for Yourself

Someone recently engaged me in an email debate. Not a good thing, because I generally don’t debate anything. But he got my goat and pressed his unbalanced view of the world. He insulted my logic, grasp of facts and thought he had smashed my conclusions. As untenable. 

Actually, no. I don’t debate because such exchanges are designed to manipulate outcomes. It’s a game. No one really wins because the conclusions don’t add to understanding for either party or society in general. 

I much rather spend time working out keener understandings of issues, with a steady eye on improving on them, solving problems, whatever; accomplishing something positive all concerned. 

This is not an ideological thing with me. But it is with many others. For some reason they have given up their own independent ability of logic and adopted someone else’s. They have taken as fact opinion from others. I know this is attractive at times, but it really is a lazy way out of mastering the facts and issues themselves. No one can do this work for me. Or you.  

I have to do it by myself if I’m going to own my conclusions. This means I have to do some work, reading, research, thinking. I do a lot of that. I feel it is necessary and honest. And if I cannot readily understand the issue, then I can realize why others can’t either; or at least have trouble with it. 

I guess it comes down to this: I feel a deep commitment to be a great explainer. That’s not exactly the same as an educator; but it may be close. If I can explain an issue to myself – its cause, effect and result – then I feel able to explain it to other people.  But having confidence in this requires me to research details so I’m sure I have a good grasp of the material. 

If I don’t, I’ll admit it.  Usually do. It’s the only way I know to ask questions based on what is missing; so the void can be filled. This keeps me honest. It also demonstrates openness to more information. Hopefully this also builds confidence in others that I know what I’m talking about. 

I’m as dependent on external information as anyone else. I don’t create the facts. They are out there in the world. I have to find them and piece them together with other consonant pieces and make sense of it all. Someone has to do this; might as well be me as well as other people. Together we will make sense of it all. But it takes more than one. 

My email debater ended the ‘debate’ with the conclusions that we both suffered from presuppositionalism, that is, well established viewpoints that don’t allow other viewpoints to enter. A prejudice, perhaps. A bias for certain?  

I think that was convenient for him to duck out of the discussion, and to restore some peace for his own mind. You see, he is a staunch conservative, quite far to the right. From his position he views everyone else as terribly liberal or worse. And he makes that judgmental statement with all honesty and candor; as though he has the right to label others. No matter my protest and clearly providing my own label, he wouldn’t accept it as truth. Only he could see that truth. And thus there was no discussion. Only a ‘preach.’ One sided. Delivered with sarcasm and cynicism. 

When I get past the annoyance of such an exchange, I finally get the clear view that the person is protecting his sense of self and worth based on the past. I’m the first to value the past as a root of our understandings, and the hard won principles we stand for. But they are the past. We live in the present and we must manage with the future and whatever it brings. 

I don’t intend to predict the future. It doesn’t need my predictions. It will happen on its own. But we have two key things to do regarding the future: prepare for it as much as possible; and adapt to it where necessary. 

Preparing for it covers two elements: first, we want to be able to make the most of opportunities that occur in the future; second, we need to build defenses against threats or perils that may be embedded in the unfolding future. Both of these elements require work on our part.  It is why we undergo education and training. It is also why we buy insurance, build walls, jails, etc. And have standing armies. We prepare for future eventualities. So we can live as well as possible under given circumstances, and to safeguard our survival for the long-term future. 

This is rational and responsible behavior. It is why we plan. It is why we save and build reserve resources. 

Managing today and preparing for tomorrow is what fills our days in the present. Defending the past and living in it are fruitless endeavors.  Remembering the past for its record of values and worth we have learned to guide us in the present and future, is the primary lesson of the past. And it is very good.  

Perhaps I’m exposing a bias here: is conservative the same as past? Does it mean focusing on the past exclusively? I doubt that is true. But in today’s political discussions one would think so. 

More on this in later posts. But for now, think kindly on today and respect what is to come. Don’t let the past entrap you, or our nation. 

April 3, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment