Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Labels, Labels, Labels


One of my all time favorite people in and of history is Abraham Lincoln. I was taken with him as an elementary school student. His bravery attracted my attention. His brain power used to cut through history’s chaos of the time and yet remain true to stunning statements of truth and wisdom. That material came through to me all those years ago. The wisdom still resonates with me.

I ran across this quote from Lincoln the other day:

            “I wish that you conservatives would stop using my name in all your
  propaganda. I was a liberal in a liberal political party that you conservatives
 corrupted. That’s right…Democrats were the conservatives and Republicans
 were the liberals.

 Deal with it!”

Well OK, this is a quote from www.ablazable.com. I doubt Lincoln actually said that. But the citation gives pause to think back on Lincoln’s arduous task during the Civil War. He was confronted with impossible challenges. Yet he stayed the course and did the hard work that ensured that our nation remained in existence and based on lasting principles.

The Republicans back then were pragmatic. They were principled. They saw the job to do and did it. They were not always comfortable with Lincoln’s manner or decisions; but they supported him well enough to get the job done. Not without rancor and serious debate. Lincoln stood alone often in his White House years. Alone yet steeled.

Democrats were the ones who wanted no change; keep the north and south happy and keep the union whole. Tinkering with the basics would corrupt it and the union would surely be lost. Well, the exact opposite was the truth. Hard to see in those times. No blogosphere to share ideas on. No instant electronic press reports to compare ideas with. No. Just individualism. And your own brain power.

This is the Lincoln of my Republican Party for several decades. Then when the conservative moniker was pasted all over the party, I became an independent. Now I vote mostly Democratic but that is a default on the positions and basic leadership trend. It is not a true affinity to Democrats. No, I felt then as I do now, abandoned by a party of proud distinction; of Lincoln. How bitter is the truth that the partnership no longer exists. The party of big ideas is no longer. It is a pity.

The rest of us will soldier on picking the best ideas, using them and moving on. For the sake of our nation. Not of party or ideology. But of nation and its dearest needs.

Remember Lincoln and strive to live his dream. It will serve us well.

November 20, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment