Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shutting Down


When things get tough to handle some people simply shut down. I see this among many elders these days. Taxes too complex, medical costs very high, food prices rising, while incomes remain low and nearly stagnant. Investments have taken a beating over the past several years; nest eggs have mostly disappeared. The future seems bleak.

Now we witness the state of Illinois facing $100 billion in unfunded public pension benefits. The state budget is in the red. Their savings account is pretty bare. So the options to repair the pension debacle are well beyond limited. Drastic measures will need to be taken. But the state senators and representatives have not come to any decisions or solutions yet. 50 years the problem has been building. 50 years the public has told the legislature that the problem was growing out of hand. Yet none of them lifted a finger to fix the problem. And now?  Who knows?

On the national scene we have a congress bent on playing politics while the nation burns, much like Emperor Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned.

Here’s a mock letter to Congress each of us could have written:

“Dear Congress, Last year I mismanaged my funds and this year I cannot decide on a budget. Until I have come to a unified decision that fits all of my needs and interests, I will have to shut down my checkbook and will no longer be able to pay my taxes. I’m sure you’ll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.”

The message? If congress can shut down government operations, I guess each of us can as well. What’s fair is fair, right? WRONG! The equation is not an equation. The process works only in one direction and not both ways. Surprise, surprise!

Yet these elected officials still pull their pay checks, still get their benefits paid (don’t forget the benefits have nothing to do with your plan or mine, nor Medicare or Medicaid. No they have special insurance, no co-pays, no deductibles, and, surprise, no premiums! Well ain't that sweet!  Just like we all used to have before employers dumped soaring premiums on their workers and now are doing the unthinkable and dumping coverage completely. You are on your own.  And yet, the only solution anyone has come up with is the Affordable Healthcare Act, or Obamacare.

Ezra Klein of MSN had this to say about the issue the other day:

“If Obamacare is just going to be a total debacle, Republicans would let it take effect, ride the catastrophe to huge victories in the 2014 midterms, come back, use their massive Congressional majorities to repeal it…but they don’t want to do that. Because the GOP’s fear is not that the law will fail, it’s that the law will succeed.”

Imagine that! These things just get curious-er and curious-er. What’s up is down, and what’s down is up. We are redefining gravity here, folks!  A new language has sprung up and all is nonsense.

Install Obamacare and tweak the downsides as they occur. Otherwise enjoy the benefits of this partial solution until something better comes along. That’s a commonsense approach. Doing nothing is killing off the middle class. If that’s what the intent is, then go for it! But if that is an unintended consequence, then rethink abolishing Obamacare. Make it work until we discover a better solution.

Republicans, take a deep breath and think of something pleasant in your lives.  Cool off and rest.

Here’s another letter to the editor, only this is a real one:

            “GOP Requirements

I call myself a Republican because I believe in market solutions, and I believe in common sense realities and the necessity to defend against a dangerous world.
The problem is now I have to be homophobic. I have to count the number of times people go to church. I have to deny the facts and think scientific research is a con.
I have to think poor people are getting a sweet ride. And I have to have such a stunning inferiority complex that I fear education and intellect in the 21st century. Most of all, the biggest new requirement is that I have to hate Democrats.

            Sincerely, W. McAvoy, Louisville 40222”

I think McAvoy and I are similar; however, I was a Republican until the conservative nonsense got started and took over the party bringing it to its knees today. I left 25 or 30 years ago when I saw the handwriting on the wall. Too bad others didn't as well. Maybe we wouldn’t be in the mess we are today.

Commonsense. Collaboration. Cooperation. Being practical.  Now that’s something I can get behind.


October 1, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment