Monday, September 30, 2013

What Have You Done for Me Lately?


A boss from several years back told me that no matter what good I did for others there would come a day when those same people would ask of me – What have you done for me lately?

I was shocked at the message. He was telling me to do less for others because those efforts would not be repaid in kind. That others will press for their own advantage in the end. My contributions to their well-being would be forgotten in the past.

Perhaps the shock was due to the cynicism of the statement. It went against everything I believed in then ~ and now. Pay it forward. Isn't that what we have heard so often in the past 20 years? Isn’t this what our churches have been teaching us? Do unto others as we would have them do unto us? Even in the business world?

At issue was my job performance review. My boss recognized my contributions to the firm and especially to the department. His concern was that I could do more if I focused my time and energy toward his team. His goals. His future. He was afraid I would burn myself out and be of no use to him in the future.

Part of what he said was true. At the time I was alive with energy and visions of potential services and products. Bursting with enthusiasm I attempted new tasks that would lay the groundwork for new revenue producing services. He didn't share my enthusiasm. He wanted me to contain my energy and not give ideas away for others to pursue. I think it came down to a competitive issue with other departments. I will never know for sure.

All I knew was I was deeply committed to a helping profession and holding back didn't seem to be in the spirit of the organization! The more we did the better things were for a lot of people and our reputation was building to a soar! In the long run I felt certain my investment in new ideas and service would be best for the organization.

In time I was proved right. But he was too because in the doing of all this I wore out and my productivity slumped while I regained health and stamina.

There is a risk to doing too much, of course. Being close to the issues we often don’t see these risks. He did; I didn't; but then I wonder who really is in the wrong position in this struggle?

I’m reminded of a quote from Franklin D. Roosevelt:

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

It pays our nation, region, state or community if we keep our eyes on the ball. Commonweal is health of the community no matter its size. By boosting our commonwealth as a society we raise the quality of life for all. Along that journey are occupations aplenty for each of us. We do good and do well by ourselves at the same time. We are building the future on a sustainable basis through our own and cooperative efforts. Just like our ancestors did. They planted the seed of democracy in America. They sowed the seedlings of entrepreneurialism among us as well. They nurtured and plowed the land so it would grow worthy crops for harvest. They prepared for the future. They collaborated with neighbors to fell forests for more cropland. They shared the labors of building barns.

As society grew more complex we shared our toils and money (taxes) to build great highway systems, water works, sewer systems, storm drainage infrastructure… The accomplishments expanded greatly.

And together we worked with other nations to preserve the peace and triumphed in wars large and small. We accomplished much. Together.

That was then. What about now? Are we of the same mind and spirit? Are we about preserving our national ideals and unity?

I think not. Look please upon the capitol dome in Washington DC, or even in our state houses! What to you observe? Togetherness, maybe; strife and disagreement certainly. Incivility in magnificent abundance! How did we get here?

By losing our focus on the ball.  It’s our turn to catch that ball and bring order to our lives. Care to join that effort?

What have you done for us lately?

September 30, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment