Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Catching Up w/Gay


Things are perking right along with regard to legalizing gay marriage. Eighteen states have now legalized gay marriages in their own state, while even more have recognized gay marriages performed in other states. Illinois passed the legislation before year-end 2013 but made the effective date June 1st. Cook County is now authorized to perform the weddings before June effective immediately by federal court decree. Soon the other 101 counties in the state will likely follow suit. [Note: Cook County contains Chicago and their combined population is more than 5.25 million.]

This is good news for the LGBT community. Polling throughout the USA confirms that a solid majority of Americans support equal rights and marriage equality for LGBT citizens. This may come as a surprise to many but it shouldn't.

Most of us are familiar with the ‘six degrees of separation’, which posits that we all are related in someway to one another. Taken more broadly, we are probably 4 degrees separated from relatives and friends, perhaps less. Surely we all know at least one gay person within our own family and among our circle of friends.  Knowing these people as people we can better understand why discriminating against them based on their being gay is truly wrong.

The primary reason for this conclusion is: being gay is not a choice.

If it is not a choice then LGBT persons should live out their lives as naturally as possible. It takes deep thinking and self analysis to understand one’s self in the best of times; a gay person has an even tougher task to perform. Once done, however, they need to naturally pursue their happiness as the rest of us are free to do without barrier.

Famed singer and performer Michael Buble has shared this with us:

“My uncle Mike has been with my uncle Frank for 35 years. I grew up never seeing a difference between gay and straight people. [Acceptance] has got to start in the home.”

Rocky and I have many nieces and nephews. They are all young adults and young marrieds these days. They easily accept us unconditionally into their lives. They are supportive and natural with us. Their parents, however, are another tale! But it is OK. We accept their parents as flawed fellow human beings. One day they may catch up with the rest of us, but for now they must be allowed to wander and struggle in this emotional wilderness which confuses them so!

Chely Wright, American Country music artist and gay rights activist, has said:

“I am gay, and I am not seeking to be ‘tolerated.” One tolerates a toothache, rush-hour traffic, an annoying neighbor with a cluttered yard. I am not a negative to be tolerated.”

I have tolerated the occasional toothache and become so inured to it that I was stunned at the freedom from pain once the cause was removed. I hadn't realized how bad I felt until the pain was gone.  Sort of like cooking a frog who remains in the frying pan from cool to full saute!

Eventually, however, the toothache’s cause is removed. And we are aware more fully of the problem. I have never tolerated rush hour traffic unless it has allowed me the pause to think through other matters I would otherwise not pay attention to. Most of the time I wonder why the engineering genius of our nation hasn't actually solved rush hour traffic! Now the cluttered yard I do tolerate. I accept they can’t do anything about it. It is their natural way of living. Just like my gay life! 

And that’s the point.

Don’t tolerate me. Accept me because I am who I am, just like you are the way you are.

Young people get this. The parent gene struggles with this, however. Oh let them be! Just remember that what they believe because they can’t help it ought not be legislated against others because of who they are. That would be wrong and un-American. Just like freedom of religion, no one should get in the way of someone believing or worshiping as they choose. But that does not give them the right to cram their religion down our throats. We have the religious freedom to live and believe our way, too.

Religious freedom works in both directions. The same for gay’s pursuing their happiness.  Best we don’t forget this.

February 26, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment