Monday, February 3, 2014

Seeing Through the Scrim


Howard Zinn, an American Historian and academic at Boston University and Spelman College, was also an activist, author and playwright. He provided this quote for us to think about today:

“I've always resented the smug statements of politicians, media commentators, corporate executives, who talked of how, in America, if you worked hard, you would become rich. The meaning of that was, if you were poor, it was because you hadn't worked hard enough. I knew this was a lie – about my father, and millions of others; men and women who worked harder than anyone.”

Work hard or work smart – you get rich. If you are poor you must be dumb or lazy.  But it doesn't work that way, does it?

Plenty of good people have worked hard and smart yet did not grow rich. In fact the rest of us rely on those good people to do what they do so we can be safe, prosper and pursue our brand of happiness.  Think about all of the teachers, researchers, scientists, firemen, policemen, and military personnel just for starters. Think also of the plumbers, carpenters, metal workers, and other building trades people who we depend on. Also – the truck drivers, snow plow operators, bus drivers, train engineers, pilots and countless other career people who labor on our behalf. They do not all get rich. If they succeed they acquire comfortable living standards and a secure retirement.

Plenty of people do not succeed for any number of reasons. Sometimes it is from natural disaster or bad luck or astounding bad health. They survive, however. They live and pursue their dreams just like you and I. And we value their contributions to our collective whole.

This next quote is unattributed. I wish I knew who wrote it because I think it is extremely well thought out; you be the judge:

            “I accept myself for who I am and what I believe…
            It is not my responsibility for you to accept me…
            That is your problem.”  ~Anonymous

Amen. I’m doing my work. You do yours. I don’t have to agree with you nor do you have to agree with me. But accepting myself is my job, not yours. Accepting yourself is yours not mine. Meanwhile accepting each other is an act of charity we either succeed at or not.

Accepting the poor or rich does not require judgment. They exist. They are among us. What’s the purpose of opining the fine points? Indeed! What fine points?

Seems to me that judging is a pastime too often indulged in our society. The judgment is ‘who is to blame?’, or ‘how is that person different from me, and why?’  What does it matter? The facts remain they exist, they live among us, and we need to move on with our lives.

Our country’s history is based on equality. Equality of opportunity. Equality of access. For all to pursue happiness. However success is defined, it is a personal thing that does not need interpretation from others.

This anonymous quote fits well here:

            “Standing up for equality isn't bigotry…
             Standing against it is.”

The whole of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s life was to teach us that lesson. Why is it so difficult to remain true to it?

There is a natural inclination for people to find fault, to find differences among us, to attempt to feel better about ourselves as opposed to others. This inclination weaves a scrim curtain that allows us to see through but obscurely. What is obscured? Eleanor Roosevelt knew when she said this:

“Pit race against race, religion against religion, prejudice against prejudice. Divide and conquer! We must not let that happen here.”

But we did. And we have. Still do. The scrim allows us to see this happening if we pay attention.

Meanwhile, we have lots to do!

February 3, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment