Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Living by Choice


Rocky found this on the internet the other day. I, too, found it beguiling. I share it with you now and then will follow with some comments.

            “I choose…
            To live by choice, not by chance;
            To make changes, not excuses;
            To be motivated, not manipulated;
            To be useful, not used;
            To excel, not compete;
            I choose self-esteem, not self pity;
            I choose to listen to my inner voice, not random opinion of others.
                                    ~rawforbeauty.com

The keyword here is ‘choose’. Intentional thought, word, action and belief. Not random, nor accidental. Purposeful and thought out. I choose to do something or believe something. I choose to share something with others, whether an idea, sentiment, pat on the back, or donation of time, money and talent.

Choosing to live this way, makes opportunities happen. Read material for the information I do not already know, or how to fit it with other things I know but haven’t thought about before. Talk with others about the same thoughts and learn what they think; is it similar to your understanding? Or are there other possibilities, here. Fresh ideas for fresh thinking and creation.

If I find something that needs changing, am I willing to offer help to make the change? Or am I merely willing to offer critique of the situation and lay blame for it? Why not avoid your own excuses and get busy helping with the needed changes?

Do you choose to be motivated and motivate others? Or are you waiting for others to do this for you, and perhaps manipulate you and your resources? Why not take charge of your own resources (time, talent and funds) to make the changes you feel most needed?

Similar to this thought, do you choose to be useful and not used?  When someone asks you to do something, are you sure this is what you want to do? Why not get directly involved and be useful to the cause in the first place. You will understand the issue much better and know for yourself what needs to be done and when. Writing a check is useful; but it does not advance your understanding of the issue first hand. Think about changing this in your life.

Do you choose to excel at something and not compete?  If we focus on competition we are not truly strengthening our inner ability. In fact we are letting other matters dictate our inner agenda and how we spend our energy and time. Excelling at our chosen interest centers means we also use to advantage what others can provide. By not competing but rather collaborating, we accomplish a great deal more. Our joint interests are advanced. We each excel; we each accomplish. The common good of the community is enriched. Together we have made progress. And meanwhile we have not wasted time and energy in competing with others.

And I want to feel good about myself. That is not preening! That is individuality. It is also avoiding self pity. Focus on the positive and the negatives will fade away, maybe even disappear entirely for awhile!

Along the way I begin to notice that my inner voice is working hard and well. And I learn also to trust it. It is often more reliable and accurate than the random thoughts expressed by others. Self control and self reliance. They go hand in hand.

In the final analysis, choosing to live intentionally is a good thing for me, and for you. That’s when the ‘us’, the ‘we’ begins to soar as well.

Good quote to think about today. Choose to be all that you can be this day!

February 25, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment