Friday, November 14, 2014

Estate & Other Thoughts



Twenty three months ago today a friend of mine died. From suicide at the age of 61. He had warned me he would probably ‘do it’ but he wasn't yet ready. For nine months I watched his behavior wondering when the ‘do it’ was a done deed. Ghoulish duty.

He had told me his intentions in confidence because he wanted me to act as his estate’s executor. To that end he had drafted a final letter to friends and family members telling them what his troubles and pains were and that he was going to manage those problems himself and decide when to go. In the letter he indicated who was to receive which possessions and financial benefits if his assets proved adequate for those purposes.

My friend and I had met in AA meetings in town. He chose local AA meetings so he could walk from home or bicycle to them in good weather. I chose mostly the same meetings because I was active in town and wanted to be honest with myself and others about my recovery from alcohol abuse. Steve and I became fast friends and discussed many topics in and out of AA. A PhD psychologist and massive music expert, Steve was a fascinating person to know. He had been married four times and had a roving eye so our mutual interests were not of a sexual focus! As a psychologist he was interested in my being gay so we had some pretty interesting discussions.

Why bring all of this up now? Because at long last Steve’s estate matters are winding down toward a final conclusion. Twenty three months of fussing with household, financial, legal and relationship issues are nearing an end.  Although Steve’s adieu letter was sent to family and friends, it proved not to be of legal standing as a will. Thus my first duties focused on disposition of Steve’s body, family notification, and finding an attorney to guide me through legal estate formation, appointment of an executor, and all the rest that follows.

Turns out the attorney petitioned the probate court to appoint me estate administrator. Those steps consumed three months and by March of 2013 I had set up the banking relationship and begun the process of determining taxes, bills, real estate values and the extent of tasks needed to liquidate all the elements of the estate in order to satisfy the protocols of the probate court. This was not to be a short term process!

I won’t bore you with all the details. However, this week the attorney and I mailed papers of notice to the four heirs (mother, father, brother and sister), paid the attorney his final fees to close the estate in court, and cleared my expense and hourly fees reimbursement. We wait for a 30-day period for questions and challenges from the heirs; hearing none the estate will go to court for final disposition with a 42-day waiting period for public objections after that. If none are received the court declares the estate closed and I send checks to the heirs and ship small personal items such as photos, diplomas, dissertations, and class rings to the family.  All the other possessions have been sold at auction, donated to charities, or tossed out. Lots of gleaning through possessions to determine what held value and what did not. Sentimental value holds no value on a balance sheet. But family cares about these matters. And so friends helped me sort through a life-time of possessions in order to clear out the house and ready it for sale.

This process was arduous but a fitting close to a friendship. Friends gathered to do this work and we celebrated Steve’s life in ways not possible at a memorial service. There were many points of closure. Losing a friend by suicide must be dealt with by each of us who cared for Steve. Up close and personal to the facts of the case impelled me forward through a mass of issues related to managing the estate. The work gave me an appreciation of life and death I doubt I would have gained in any other way. Philosophical discussions internally raged for months. Still do. But in the end I’m good with Steve’s decision to take his own life. Anything after that point is just managing things and dollars.

It has been a long good bye. There is less than 70 days to go for the final legal process. However, the real good bye has been accomplished. It is bitter sweet.

November 14, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment