Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ideologue?


I have been accused of being an ideologue. In some discussions I would agree and happily so. In some instances I disagree with the appellation. Here’s why.

First of all, an ideologue to my way of thinking is a one sided thinker stuck in synchronization with stagnant positions on most issues. That does not describe me at all.

Second, Google defines ideologue as “an adherent of an ideology, especially one who is uncompromising and dogmatic.” Anyone who knows me understands that my political belief system is open to discussion, continual re-examination, and especially compromise. If open examination and compromise are part of an ideology, then that’s mine but it doesn't fit with the Google definition!

Third, I do think seriously about most issues encountered in life and I sort through them with a mind toward aligning them with many elements of my belief system. “Does this fit, or doesn't it?” are the questions I continually ask myself. This is the process, by the way, that keeps me examining my beliefs and challenging my earlier conclusions. As time passes my thinking accommodates changing conditions and issues. As a result my thinking becomes more expansive and earlier conclusions are altered to keep pace.

Fourth, my entire attitude swings from frustrated fellow citizen to clear thinking position taker. The latter means I think about an issue and come to a workable conclusion on it. My frustration with fellow citizens comes when their comments and arguments and attitudes demonstrate they have not thought carefully enough about an issue yet hold forth on ludicrous descriptions of their considered opinion! I don’t care that they may not think as I do. I do care that they think and have evidence of it.  Hello!

Fifth, having an opinion on many issues does not mean a person is opinionated. It means he or she has taken the time and energy to think about an issue and researched it well enough to form a solid conclusion or opinion. When additional information is encountered that may challenge the opinion or conclusion, the person entertains that possibility and accommodates the new information.  I think the term opinionated should be used to describe a person who has arrived at a conclusion on an issue and then won’t consider new information at all and acts stubbornly as they know it all on that issue!  That does not describe me at all.

Now, why I would agree that I may be an ideologue.

First, I think about things a lot.  A very lot! Ask my family and close associates. I’m always noodling and doodling. About many topics. Far and wide they range. My mind is working away most of the time. When I awake in the middle of the night my mind goes right to a topic or two and ruminates over them until I tire and go back to sleep.

This process of ruminating over many topics continually is my way of integrating information – old and new – so I more fully understand an issue. It is not a process that automatically settles on conclusions in a consistent manner. Indeed, the process requires old conclusions to be tested for the need of change.

Rumination tends to find inconsistencies. These become puzzles to be solved. And thus the thought process continues on to a new point of equilibrium. A conclusion is newly formed or an old one amended.

Second, I gladly meet new people and consider their inputs to my considerations and conclusions. This keeps my thinking fresh. Otherwise it is boring to me as well as to others. I don’t like being bored. I hope you don’t either!

Third, I write my thoughts down often and give witness to them before a broad audience. I do this in the local paper via articles and columns. I do it as well with this blog. I am involved in many venues of volunteer pursuits. In each I am fully conversant and participative. My thinking is thus tested over and over again. I receive reactions to some of my thoughts. I get feedback on newspaper copy and the blog. I am not existing in a self-appointed vacuum.

I think I am in the real world. I expect others to do the same. If they have ideas they ought to share them. Even more they ought to welcome the intellectual challenge of mixing their ideas with those of other minds. It is fun and challenging. And we all learn from it as well.

‘No man is an island’, wrote Jon Donne. And he was so right!

Seems to me an opinionated ideologue is a crusty, immovable thinker who refuses to accommodate those who think different from himself. I honestly doubt that term describes me in that meaning.

If you disagree please let me know!

November 11, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment