Friday, June 5, 2015

Scheduling the Old


OK, I’m not old. Not at 72 in the year 2015. My age must be the new 50 or maybe 60? You hear just about everywhere 60 is the new 40. Or 50 is the new 30. Well, pardon me for being confused!

I’ve lived through several decades. Each was hard fought and won. Well, the winning part is not fully understood yet, but one has hope that victories were scored!  Certainly, not all of the time spent in these past decades were fully known. We live life moment by moment. We think we have some control because we have a calendar that miraculously fills up. We keep ourselves busy.

Some of us don’t. I really don’t know how they get along. Other than the rising and falling sun, how do they know what time it is? Surely they don’t watch the clock!  In Illinois it is not always easy to tell time by the movement of the sun. The clouds, you know! They reside with us for months at a time. It is hard to know what part of the day it is let alone which month. [How do they live in Seattle?!]

Anyway, I keep myself busy because otherwise I would go out of my skull. Not everything I should do gets done, but I’m not unique in that. So, I write this blog. I get involved with SCORE mentor clients. I’m involved in SCORE meetings which keep me trained and up to date on methods and policies of the organization. Where the org’s weaknesses appear, I help strengthen operations. I write reports and minutes of meetings so others will know what was discussed and decided. This is part of the workings of any organization but helpful. Time consuming, too.

I also provide transportation to an elderly couple (watch it! They are only a few years older than I!) getting them to and from doctor appointments, pharmacy and grocery stores. The chit chat is fun, too. They are accomplished and brilliant people. They have health issues but their minds are a sharp as can be. Besides, I have health issues as well and we make quite a trio doddering into stores and health clinics!

Meanwhile family matters tick along as one would expect. Birthdays, anniversaries, illnesses, school events, concerts, picnics and cookouts. We get together frequently although their lives are shudderingly busy. I guess like ours were when we were their ages.

So, the point of this posting today: I’m busy but what do others my age do? Endless TV viewing? Hobbies and art creations? Church work and gatherings? Family gatherings as well? But what about expanding the mind? Growing ideas and interacting with the world so we know we are still a part of it? And making a contribution to the common good?

I can answer for myself but I wonder about the many others. Inside and out of my own family, I wonder about  their involvement and drive to know things and be vital.

This old age thing somehow seems to suffocate the life out of some people. Are they not curious about things? I am. I think that keeps me going more than anything else. Surely I am not the picture of a stubborn old guy who merely keeps on going because not ticking like a Timex spells certain doom. No; I keep ticking because there is a reason to do so.

Excitement still registers with me. There are times I wish I were busier and making progress. Progress on what I am not sure, but progress nonetheless!

I have objectives. Sometimes I think they are kind of silly to have, but I’ve always had goals to work on. Why change now just because I can take a nap when I feel like it?

Well now, there’s a conundrum to study by someone – Nap driven behaviors of the over 70 age group! Report at 10 pm news, if you are still awake!

Well, my energy is lagging. Maybe a time for a nap has presented itself? Enough for now.

June 5, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment