Thursday, January 28, 2016

Be Nice to Everyone


Ellen DeGeneres asks her audience to be nice to everyone each and every day at the close of her show. It is a simple statement. But it is a heavy dose of goodness asked of us each day by Ellen and she delivers the same with every broadcast. She helps people. People in trouble and people in deep grief and fear she helps. She also rewards people for good deeds and brings public knowledge to such good works.

She is pleasant. Most of us are, even when we don’t know it.

The opposite is true, too, alas. When we pilot our cars down the street we often get overly excited by the lack of respect and fairness other drivers implant on the rest of us. I am guilty of feeling this way and demonstrating my upsetness to others. Doesn’t do any good but it does relieve the inner pressure I’m feeling; kind of selfish, I know! But I do feel better venting at the time; later I feel bad that I lost control and wasn’t nice to that specific stranger as irritating as he or she was!

My father-in-law was fond of saying, “If you can’t be nice to your family members, you shouldn’t be nice to anyone.” Not a bad thought to emulate. Think before acting and try to be kind to everyone. That includes family members that goad you into panic attacks of anxiety! Yes, I have such in my family and I suspect we all do. So, take a deep breath, and move on.

You might try reading a book to find serenity. Perhaps some meditation or quiet time. A nap does wonders for me but then I’m retired and have the napportunity!

One major caution: do not turn on the news. These days you will encounter reports on the current presidential campaigns that are anything but presidential. They are in fact not nice. The characters running think they have to be rough, tumble, angry, pushing and obnoxious to their competitors. They hope such behavior will be viewed as strength in the eyes of voters.

They would be wrong if that is what they think. To voters they look like bullies and boobs. And if we see them that way what must the rest of the world community see them as?  I suspect they see a potential political and military target. You know, in America it is buy guns today, then shoot those you disagree with tomorrow. Shoot first and then ask questions. Or take over public lands and act like children wanting their own way.

Boobs need not apply for the job of President. It is not becoming to the body politic of America. So, Cruz, Trump, Rubio, Paul, Huckabee, et.al., stand down and give it up. No one wants you in the White House.

The others are like Clinton, Sanders, O’Malley and Jeb Bush are more to the mold of getting along with people. Talk first then determine behavior changing incentives. But understand what you are dealing with before making a fool of yourself and the American people.  Please?

Now that was a request, a nice one. I’m trying to be nice here. But Trump! Please drop out of the race and go back to your greedy hole you call business. We do not need your type attempting to improve the world community. Rather you drag it down to the lowest common denominator. And many of your friends and competitors, too.

It’s time to reward the nice people who feel ready to lead us.

It would help if we are ready to be led. Don’t ask the Bundy’s or the Trumps. They are not included in the willing to be led group. Far from it. And that’s precisely why we need to move on to better candidates.

I feel better already just saying all of that.

So, now I’m ready to be nice to everyone. Are you?

January 28, 2016


1 comment:

  1. As a wonderful priest I knew said, "Be nice. If you can't be nice, then just be nice. If you still can't be nice, be nice anyway." He, I am pleased to say, lived that way every day of his life.

    He also taught me that one can be strong and principled and still be nice. That is what seems to be missing in the political process today. Meanness is mistaken as strength and stubbornness as principle.

    Well, to paraphrase an old story about someone who prayed for patience and then kept running into frustrating people, I guess SomeOne is providing me with plenty of opportunities to practice being nice. It is not much of a challenge to be nice to the nice; the challenge is being nice to those who are not. (One can hope that they are nice but haven't learned how to show it?)

    ReplyDelete