Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Aging and Medications


I remember a time when I rarely visited a doctor. Never visited a hospital unless it was to cheer up a patient. Took no prescription drugs except for asthma attacks. Not a lot of contact with medical industry.

Now times have changed. In retirement one wonders how we had time to work, mow the lawn, commute and raise a family. Now we visit doctors monthly, clinics monthly, and the ER occasionally. We know the drug store personnel as family. And they us!

This winter I made the usual rounds of annual checkups with my three primary doctors – the GP, cardiologist and pulmonologist. All three claimed I was doing wonderfully and asked why was I here? I took that as a good sign. Even the cardiologist asked if I would like to get off my meds. Together we decided I needed to lose some weight before doing this. But at least the subject is on the table.

Enrolled in Medicare Advantage, my health insurance carrier – United Health – provides the Silver Sneakers program. Not all physical fitness outlets cooperate with the program but the program helps find the closest provider to our home. It turned out that Wheaton Park District is nearest our home and we signed up yesterday for the program. It is free to us but United Health pays the park district a small stipend for each of our visits.

In return we get regular exercise in a safe environment among fitness professionals who watch over us for medical emergencies and helpful hints. Also in return United Health gets healthier insureds who have a chance to lessen their reliance on doctors and drug regimens. In my case I could reduce my pharmacy expense by $30 per month; for United Health it would reduce their cost by $400 per month. So that small stipend to the park district is eminently affordable.

I once complained to my doctor that I was on too many meds. He scanned my record and said I was on only 10 prescriptions and he thought that was light! Hmmmm. I think anything over four is heavy. How about the rest of you?

I know that aging requires more medical attention and more prescriptions. That doesn’t mean I have to like it or enjoy taking the pills. But I do take them as directed so I don’t have to take any more. That’s how I see it. Besides, if I were to prescribe my own regimen I’d end up trying to find the time to visit the doctors more often – and the pharmacy as well!  Enough of that!

April 13, 2016


1 comment:

  1. My insurance also provides Silver Sneakers privileges and it is a great benefit. Perhaps if something like that had been available before I turned Medicare-aged, I would have been in better shape much sooner. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete