Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Where to Spot Ugly Americans

I know some of you will think this post lame when I say this, but I think it is true.  Ugly Americans can best be seen behind the steering wheels of their cars. At times this includes me as well; I admit it. I’m quite capable of a meltdown while driving in traffic, but please give me a listen.

For nearly four years Illinois Route 59 running through Naperville, Illinois, was rebuilt. It was widened, improved in countless ways, and connected with an amazingly engineered interchange on the north at Interstate 88.

The other day I drove south on Rte 59 to my auto dealer for routine old change, filter and wiper blades. I encountered the new highway in this manner: at the new bridge/interchange at 88, one lane was closed, then two as crews at 9 am began the slow process of removing brand new concrete lanes just installed. A mile farther along one lane was closed for curb and sidewalk construction; then two lanes were closed for the same plus lane concrete removal for some reason or another – completely new concrete!

It took me nearly an hour to go 7 miles.

On my return trip north I made the mistake of thinking that northbound had not been affected earlier and surely wouldn’t be this time. I was wrong. They closed down two entire lanes of 3 at the north end at the I-88 interchange. One hour it took me to travel 5 miles; I still had 3 miles to go but those were mostly uneventful.

Trapped. I felt trapped. Marooned, even. Look, this project probably cost more than $50 million. Not a dime from Naperville. A smidgen from Illinois. Most of the money came from federal programs. But still Illinois contractors and inspectors screwed up the project. Now in its 4th full year countless businesses and residents have lost their incomes and businesses. Traffic has been reduced to below breakeven. And the city of Naperville does nothing to rescue those businesses or the stranded motorists.

The ugly American in this case is the bureaucrat who has forgotten who pays for this project and for whose benefit it was built. This is not a federal bureaucrat; this is a state desk sitter abetted by a city asleep at the switch.

More ugly Americans appeared on the scene by the way. Drivers who are trapped for an hour in unimaginable traffic conditions undergo critical psycho-social changes. That includes me, too.

In lesser conditions we observe daily driving maneuvers that simply challenge all norms of decency and thoughtlessness. Switching lanes without signaling is minor; sitting at a green light with one’s head buried in his laptop or I-phone until someone honks to stir them to action is so frequent one wonders why we have a law against this behavior when you never see someone actually cited for the offense. Look officers, ride along with me every day and I will point out the offenders at least 4 per mile. You could run your city government on the fines generated by your tickets!

Running red lights and stop signs is epidemic. Honk your horn and you risk a fist fight, or worse if they other guy has a gun aboard.

Going the speed limit and planning turns well in advance are common sense driving habits. Evidently not so for most people. They herd their cars down the road. They mush their steel chariots wherever and whenever they want. And they simply do not give a damn about you and I. Not a damn or dime.

Our society is selfish, greedy and unthinking of others. All you have to do to know this is drive 10 miles anywhere – in city, suburb or country lane. It is horrendous. And it is sad.

The good sense and good nature of Americans has been lost somewhere along the line. When was that? and how will we ever get it back?

Please. Don’t shatter my last vestiges of hope and tell me there is no returning to the good old days of good manners! Please don’t say it. Now hush!

April 27, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment