Monday, April 18, 2016

Naps and Other Pastimes

The news is filled with articles on sleep habits. How much sleep is needed for a healthy kid, adult or even pets. How much is too little? Indeed, how about the quality of the siesta? If it is done in complete darkness or quiet, doesn’t that improve the depth of the rest and sleep? Doesn’t the body gain more rejuvenation from deep sleep?

What happens if I sleep in bouts of 2 or 3 hours a few times during the 24 hour cycle? As long as it adds up to 7 hours or so, isn’t that good enough? Well, science says otherwise.

Doctors and researchers are claiming that 7 to 8.5 hours per 24 hour period is the norm and each of us should try to achieve this daily standard of rest.

OK. But life often doesn’t accommodate this regimen. When I was pursuing my career, I commuted 4 hours each day, worked approximately 12 hours on site, did the usual household tasks, read, ate, watched the news, exercised and what not. Additionally I often worked Saturdays. My job involved some evening meetings, some travel, and events held at other sites over the weekend. No way was my job a 40-hour routine.  It was more like 80 hours plus commuting.

And commuting in a large urban area gets complicated. If money is tight (and it usually is for young marrieds) homes are located far from work sites and involve lengthy commutes. Public transportation involves getting to and from the train station, the train ride both directions, and getting to and from the downtown train station to the work site. For me that involved 2 hours each direction including waiting for trains to arrive or depart and allowing enough time to walk between home and office to and from the train stations.

This commuting pattern and time consumption is not abnormal for urban dwellers. I know when I formed my own business and commuted to and from a third bedroom converted to my office, I enjoyed a much less harried life! Furthermore, I visited clients only when necessary and the appointments were usually made to avoid rush hour hassles! What could have been more perfect?

Ah well, when I worked from home I worked very intensely for 7 hours then broke for lunch and a nap. After the nap I continued to work for another 2 hours and then broke for dinner and an evening free for personal interests. Night time sleeping hours were quite normal – 9 pm to 5 am. There’s your 8 hours.

Today I am retired. I go to bed usually at 8:30 (asleep by 9) and arise at 5 am. During the day I often have a mid-morning nap of 30 minutes and an afternoon nap of 40 minutes. I do volunteer work involving writing, communicating, planning and meeting with clients. Activity is in bursts of 2 to 3 hours. Naps are a good rejuvenation from such activity. You see the pattern?

At any rate, my pastimes beyond naps are spent wondering about issues and ideas that need either more research or at least clarified thinking and writing. This raptly consumes my time. It is a very pleasant way to live for me. Very pleasant!

And of it I have no complaints. In fact, I am writing this after having awakened from a 30 minute nap. I worked hard for 4 hours before that. I am writing this piece now. And in a few minutes will make a conference call to discuss developing an educational program for minorities in business. The call will take only 20 minutes. Then lunch and an afternoon free for whatever.

Being Friday, I have the entire evening and weekend to spend conjuring. What could be better?

A nap or two or three beckons!

April 18, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment