Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Being Home

The older I get the more I enjoy just being home. I’ve given this some thought and I’ve come up with a number of reasons why this is true, but some of the reasons just seem so lame. Like I mean! What?

For example, here’s a list of why I like being home:
  • I’m near my very own bathroom; I know what it is like and where everything is; I can maneuver in it and accomplish my business in privacy and calm
  • There are no real surprises in my home; things are where they belong; I can find things
  • My chair is very comfortable; firm, high and easy to get in and out of; when pain attacks, the chair will lift me up and out; the reverse is true as well – I can back up to the chair and it will let me down easy and pain free; where else can I find this?
  • The dog is home; she is a calm and loving presence; even asleep she is a joy; all is well
  • I can nap at will when home; not so elsewhere; that would be frowned upon
  • I know where the snacks are hidden; not always available or very plentiful, but I know where they are!
  • And the TV; I don’t fully understand how to work all of its features but it is big and comforting. I can find the news channels when I need to; boring films, too, when I need lulling into a nap
  • The office contains three computers, well four actually; one I can’t operate, that’s Rocky’s. One is small like a tablet and didn’t live up to its expectations so I don’t use it; Rocky uses it as backup to his aging and failing machine. One is old and huge and not the latest in technology nor can it be adapted to it, so it has limitations. The last one is the newest, given to me by my friends in SCORE. It is modern and has the latest software. I’m still learning how to use it. It has capabilities I know that far exceed my understanding. Well, that’s one definition of aging!
  • My neighbors are near and often visit; very pleasant interludes these
  • While at home I can noodle and doodle on my computer; this is how most of my work comes about; an idea, followed by interactive thoughts, then some words puttered about on the computer. And suddenly something concrete emerges that can be worked and expanded.
  • All this at home, and more, too. It is where Rocky is. I can count on him being home and welcoming. 
There are other things about home that are not at all pleasant, like vacuuming, straightening up and tossing excess papers, mail and junk. We have so much of the latter that I do not understand where it comes from. It is just there.

I’m not good around junk or messes. It confuses me.

That’s when I leave home for more ordered places like meetings at church, SCORE, clients and whatnot. Those sessions give me need to return home for rest and reconstruction. The bullet list above gives me pleasure and calm. The rest doesn’t, but then what would life be without its challenges?

Home; it is good. Home; it is where the heart and mind is. I think I’ll stay in for awhile.

May 3, 2016


1 comment:

  1. Your first reason brought back a memory from 1974. I was in Mexico studying at a school for US folks, and we lived with Mexican families, all of whom seemed to be delightful. (I lived with members of my Order in a monastery nearby. Also delightful.) One of my classmates got sick. It was not serious, but she was unhappy for a number of days. Finally someone asked how she was doing and she wailed, "I'm okay, but I want my to be back in my own bathroom!"

    ReplyDelete