Wednesday, May 4, 2016

On A Roll

During a SCORE mentoring session the client looked at me across the table and smiled, then said – “you are living life fully, aren’t you?”  Well, I was a bit dumbfounded. I’m not usually thinking of this sort of thing, life in general, sure; but living life fully? That is not a phrase that I would ascribe to me.

No, younger people seem to be doing that quite nicely. Some of course take wrong turns like most of us do. But actually, following a path never is certain for the results. We know results will accrue. We just don’t know what they will be. But that’s the sense of adventure, eh?

So some of us take a path and something unexpected happens. That is, more accurately, something happens that we did not expect. Sometimes our expectations are woefully out of focus. But quite often we gain experiences that enrich our understanding of the world, mostly a better understanding of our own life!

We all know people who are gloomy and down at the mouth. Rarely do they utter words of hope and positive attitude. They are ‘poor me’ most of the time and laugh rarely. What a shame.

Some of these people ask for help but that’s all they will take – help. If you try to heal them, that is, try to make things better so they can self sustain their living circumstances at a higher level, they rarely take advantage of such help. If they do we usually find them later in a return of disastrous events and circumstances. Yet again.

Perhaps we should ask next time they approach us, do you want help or healing change? My bet is they will chose only the former, not the latter. An interesting thing to note, right? Not all people want their problems to be erased.

Why you ask? Well, I think they need the excuse for failure that doesn’t show up their own failings. 

Flaws. We all have them. We don’t want reminding of them. We prefer to think life dealt us a bad deal and thus I am not responsible for it. But I am, and so are you and the person is chronically in trouble.

We each must take responsibility for our own circumstances. We can explain it in any way we wish, but the bottom line is we can do something about our circumstances. At the very least we can accept the what and when and live with it without complaining. We might just learn it isn’t as bad as we thought. Besides, now we have the time absent complaining to actually do something constructive to fix our own life.

I wonder what gave me this insight? Maybe because I am bone tired of gloom, wet weather without a glimpse of the sun? But actually these conditions help me focus on other things more and thus the brain is exercised in more productive venues. That’s a good thing. I have discovered positive in the gloom of wet spring weather.

Now if I could transfer that ability to the seven months of gloomy winter I might have solved a lot of other problems. I might finally get over the reality that I don’t have the money to travel to Arizona and New Mexico for sunshine. In truth sun is a nice accompaniment to life but it isn’t absolutely necessary.

Now I get why people like Seattle and Oregon. They actually move there and ignore the rain. I’m not that strong. Yet!

May 4, 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment