Friday, June 9, 2017

Being Cool in 2017

Cool? At 74 years of age? Now there’s a challenge. No teachers are at hand to help the elder learn what cool means these days. In the old days it meant you were in the know. Later it became a way of describing how an individual didn’t let chaos and upsetting news bother him or her. They just rode it out with little outward expression of bother.

I’m not sure what ‘cool’ means today. And for that matter, who is defining this term? Is it in the hands of Millennials? Or Gen Y-ers, or Gen X-ers? Or maybe the Boomers still have a voice in this?

I can’t say. I’m older than a Boomer and just an elder. I’ve known a lot and probably too much. Still I am at a loss for knowing about many things. Technology is one. Used to be a computer was a glorified word processor. Then it became a platform upon which we could perform countless operations and deeds. Today, floppies are out, so are insertable disks. Only thumb drives and wi-fi clouds are in play today.

Of course one can merely sit at the keyboard and type in data. I know that is quaint, but it is also original. The other formats are sharing pre-existing information and one never knows for sure who the author is. Not me. My stuff is my stuff and everyone knows it. Everyone that, is, who reads it. That’s a growing group but still not eye popping. Probably never will be.

So, I’m still reaching out and asking the question: What is Cool in 2017?

I could play a pun here and say global warming is making sure nothing is quite cool again! But then someone would point out the polar regions and all that ice; but I would counter with ‘its melting’ due to warming!

So we are still in a quandary at this address. Cool. Attitude. Calm. Peace.

Be gentle dear readers with your responses. My calmness is approaching nap time. And you know how I enjoy those!

Ta ta for now.

June 9, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment