Friday, October 20, 2017

Cutting Edges


When was the last time you felt very uncomfortable in a social setting? Did you feel you were expected to contribute to the scene in some way, or just survive it? Were you called upon to share an opinion or experience with the crowd, one that you felt might not be well received?

How about a situation where someone is in trouble, either physically or mentally? How did you respond to their plight and ease their anxiety? Did you have the words to help? The actions to help?

What did you learn from such ill-suited situations? Anything?

My contention is we do learn good things from such encounters. And as uncomfortable as they are they often beg us to intentionally engage in similar encounters in the future. Why?

Because they help us understand the world better, and ourselves in that world.

An example: I was asked to work with teen drug addicts on Wednesday evenings. I have no understanding of the drug scene or drug addiction. I only know of the wasted lives and early deaths of drug addicts. But working with the teens I have gained insight to their lives and dramas. And hopes and dreams, too.

I’ve done this work now for almost 5 years. I still don’t know enough to conduct a class in the subject let alone write a cogent white paper on the topic.

No, I can’t do those things, but I think I can share this bit of discovery: dealing with unknowns and complex issues helps me understand the complexity of the world. It also helps me understand other people. The experience is constructive.

I have more courage to think about such matters. I can form ideas and theories that may prove helpful in the future. Trying something new and challenging shapes my abilities and expands them. You as well.

We don’t fully know what we are capable of until we are called upon to do it.

I’ll leave this topic at this point for you to ponder it more. On your own time. And discomfort! feel it.

October 20, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment