Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Finding Lost Time


Often we are not available when something needs to be done, attended to or listened to. We may be on another call, driving to an appointment, or writing a project piece. Perhaps we are doing research and have shut down interruptions; whatever, we are not available when the call comes in.

And so an opportunity was lost. Then and many times over as well. This is a pattern of our lives. Busy, productive, doing many things, sometimes multi-tasking. Involved and doing things; getting things accomplished.

Still, we missed a call on the phone, an email, or simply a knock on the door.

Other times we get the email or phone call but we know we are not prepared to take the message and do something with it. Our minds are absorbed elsewhere for the moment and it would be unfair to respond to the person without a well-considered response. Sometimes I say hello and tell them I will get back to you in another day or two after thinking about your situation with more focus. That buys time, not anything more; I must return to this obligation.

Now and again a time block falls into my lap. I have a day or more to catch up on things recently put aside. This is a time to allow some of the topics to merge with one another as well, and suddenly discover commonalities unseen before. Moments like this are inventive. The yin and yang of life. Seldom are things of singular value. More like a stew!

We must be able to respond to the opportunities provided by the ‘stew!’

I have developed a process to handle this. Quiet time spent ‘noodling’ several topics all at once. If something pops out at me, I write it down, ‘doodling.’ In this manner I noodle and doodle for maybe an hour and review what I have jotted down. Then I sort the ideas as they pertain to different projects and clients. It almost always surprises me how productive this process is. Many new ideas emerge; maybe not all are feasible at first, but later their time comes into focus. They are used then, applied to real issues and problems. Solutions follow not long after.

Perhaps you do something similar?

It is impossible for the process to work well if interruptions are allowed and if noise and chaos intrudes. I cannot do this type of work if the TV is on in the next room; quiet is needed for proper concentration.

Much of the time I do this work at night (minus the doodling!) The quiet of 1 or 2 am allows concentration. And if ideas don’t readily connect, nodding off can solve that problem. Awaking I realize the solution has taken form. Magic! If fully formed I turn on the computer and document what I have from memory. This is set aside for later review and application.

Life produces many ideas. How to use them is a challenge. The trick is not to lose them by easy dismissal. Value them and keep them loosely in memory for later use. You’ll surprise yourself how often you go back to this storehouse of ideas for inspiration.

Life is a bountiful supply of stimulation and surprises. The more we let this facet of life into our consciousness, the more productive we become. And that’s time found for still more surprises!

October 11, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment