Friday, September 21, 2018

Learning by Doing


For at least a millennia, probably longer, people have taught one another how to do something by showing them how, coaching them, and practicing alongside them. This is how we learned to farm, build houses, sew, cook, and so many other daily tasks we take for granted.

In school we learned how to read, do math and write. We were told about these things, then shown, then pulled into the practice of doing it. Doing it. Just doing it. Over and over again.

As adults we don’t need as much practice, but being told something does not teach it. Teaching leads to memory recall and use of a concept. The learning part involves accepting the concept into the mind, then relating it to something of value to the student, and finally use of the concept paired with the something of value. A connection is made. A lesson is processed. Learning took place.

How often are we the recipient of lectures, speeches and other spoken presentations? All of them designed to ‘teach’ us something, or at least that’s the marketed message. But do we really learn from these presentations?

Maybe something. For me such presentations provide a fresh view of an idea that can be used in different situations. Perhaps it can be used to fix something I think need improvement. Or maybe it just informs me of more environmental issues with which I must contend during my daily work. Helpful information but not necessarily a lesson learned.

I have attended many workshops. At first I thought the ‘workshop’ name meant I would get to use the material at the event so I would remember it better and know how to incorporate it to my life. But I was disappointed. Most workshops are mini lectures. Words, lots of words directed at an audience. In many cases those events are a marketing tool to get the student to abandon doing the work himself and hire someone who can. Sound familiar?

My sense of a workshop is different. I want hands on the topic. Work with it. Incorporate it with something on your mind and possibly of use back at your place of business or home.

Workshops should have outcomes that are readily identifiable. Useful. Practical.

Why aren’t there more of these available in the marketplace? Don’t we know how to do them?

September 21, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment