Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Making a Difference


Doing something for someone else feels good. To me. You too?


The opportunity to do these acts is not always present, or seemingly so. Actually, the needs are everywhere and do not disappear just because we don’t see them.


I’ve thought about this from time to time. The do-good action needs some focus, either the person(s) in need, or the specific need I can do something about that others might not be able to do as readily. In other words, the opportunity presents itself with a focus of some kind and it communicates with me. Therefore, I know of it and am able then to respond.


I don’t look for these opportunities. Once aware of one or two, more come to my attention quickly. Then choices abound as to which ones to do something about. It can be overwhelming, but choosing limits that reaction. Then I can focus and maybe even program my responses efficiently.


Making a difference in someone’s life is good for them and for me. It takes me out of myself for a time. Life is not about me, but about us, the we of community. Many folks suffer the ‘me’ sickness. The cure, of course, is ‘we.’


Often getting outside one’s narrow confines opens broad horizons. All possibilities. Suddenly, good things happen and better ones are in the offing.


I remember when our kids were in elementary school. They were participating in a fundraiser for their school. I don’t recall what the money was for, but maybe early computers for the classroom? Just one computer?  Anyway, the project required collecting and recycling aluminum cans. After dinner most nights of the week we piled into our little Dodge Omni, and traveled area roadways with large garbage bags; stopped when we saw a glint of a can, jumped out of the car, picked up as many cans as we could, then jumped back in the car and drove down the road for more. We stopped when our bags were full and wondered if they would fit in the small car. Then home to the garage where the bags were stashed.


I remember the reek of the cans with their mixture of beer and soda dregs! Yuck! Double Yuck.

Anyway, we left many roadsides clean of unsightly debris. That became one of our rewards. Togetherness as a family was another reward. And often we had classical music blasting from the speakers and we all enjoyed that, or at least the kids said they did!?


Those evenings of can collecting were starkly different activities from our routines. They made us feel good in ways we didn’t expect. And that’s what I’m speaking of for everyone. We need to find outlets to work outside our usual frame of reference, to expand our horizons. To live for moments for other people and causes not our own. It refreshes us. It restores our sense of community.


And humanity.


I remember mentoring a woman who was newly retired and looking for something to do. She was a world travel fan and organized trips for others. These made money for her, too, but it gave her reason to travel as much as she wished. I suggested she combine those interests with a social service project, like clean water, fresh water well building in African villages. I don’t know if she ever did this, but I recall the expression on her face as she thought of this possibility. She radiated pleasure, happiness!


Making a difference in someone’s life is a triple reward: the person helped, we the doer, and we the community. It is so simple. And yet the calling goes unheeded so many times. Answering the call only takes a little focus, but the rewards are truly large.


April 9, 2019










No comments:

Post a Comment