Friday, April 5, 2019

Personal Space


How close is too close? Who defines it? Is there a norm? Can physical space be replaced by words, looks or action? Subtle? Bold? What?


A president of the united states makes claims of 'pussy grabbing.' He is also accused of groping, fondling and outright sexual acts. No repercussions. He gets elected. But others accused of lesser behavior are grilled and shamed. Those accused are asked for resignation from jobs, elected office; some even are sued, charged with criminal behavior and suffer the consequences. Even without conviction.


But the not the president.


I guess it all depends on what political party you belong to?


Joe Biden is a glad hander and an emoter. He is a people person – happy, greeting, embracing and welcoming. In our current ethos of sexual separatism, Biden is held to a different standard of behavior, one that suggests friendliness is the entry to prurient behavior?


When and how did we get to this place?


I still hold doors open for the people behind me, man or woman. I greet people when entering an elevator. I smile at strangers. I wave at people lest they think I’m unfriendly and cold. In this day and age do they think I’m a pervert with ulterior motives? If so, who is the afflicted person? Me who is now the victim of such thoughts, or the other person who may be suffering a slight case of social fear or paranoia?


I’m perplexed by this. I have no fears of Joe Biden’s intentions. I trust him and his general demeanor. I am not a woman, though, and that makes all the difference, I suppose. Does this mean all men are suspect these days?  Even gay guys like me?


And women candidates for public office hold up Biden as an example of bad behavior? Really?  That quick judgment causes me to doubt on those candidates. What other conclusions might they jump to with horrific results?


I think we have entered an age where sensibility, clear thinking and deep breaths are needed.  Not every smiling Joe is a creep just because he smiles. Nor is a frown the look of displeasure or evil intent; it may just be a look of thought and curiosity being worked on.


I’m a fan of Joe Biden. I am not a supporter of his running for president in 2020. I think he would make a great team member in coaching other candidates toward a successful run for president, though. I hope he chooses to do this rather than running. He deserves retirement and a reflective future for his edification and ours.


Meanwhile, can we all just step back and consider the path we are on? Just maybe we will learn that men and women can get along without fear and suspicion. At least I hope so.


April 5, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment