Thursday, June 13, 2019

Freedoms


We take freedom for granted. I admit this. I think most of us do. That’s why I used ‘we’ at the beginning of this blog. We. You and I. All of us, in one fashion or another. Together in some similarity or the mosh pit of differentness. We.


Freedom. The license to personally express  myself or move wherever I please in the moment. I stride down the walkway. I skip along in rhythms unheard by others. I jump or leap at will. Freedom to move. Whither and thither is my choice. No other tells me to or not. I do as I please.


Uttering the words of my truth – or writing them – is my freedom. Oh, I have responsibility to do this in truth and fact. I shouldn’t harm another person or misrepresent them for whatever reason. I oughtn’t do that. There are repercussions for such behavior; that’s fair play. Surely I wouldn’t want another to do that with regard to me. Fairness, equal and just among all of us. There’s the we again. A reminder that I am not alone on the planet. I share space and resources with others. The we.

Fairness is caused to be because of the we. We each have freedom to live life as we see fit. No other person or group or government has sway over that freedom. That is what it means to be American. Other nations, too, but I don’t know their innerworkings like I do America’s.


So, freedom is a big deal here. We get to say what matters to us. As long as it does not have negative impact on others, we can say, move and be in this world as we deem it.


There are those among us who don’t trust others. They trust themselves, just not others. So the we in their lives is fraught with doubt and maybe terror. It is as if others might or will do something that would harm them. I guess, they fundamentally do not understand freedom and its natural limits. But then, they are in the world and we – the rest of us – have to learn to live with them.


The them, are those who feel the need to place controls over others so they are not harmed by the others. They are afraid of consequences beyond their control. Their response to this is to legislate restrictions. They set the standard of belief, value and behavior that everyone must live by.


This is how we get laws against abortion, homicide, theft, assault, and sexual perversion. This is how we get bans against gays and lesbians – or not bans, but no protections for? – as well as restrictions on speed, house color, opinion, literature, art styles and expressions. So many things threaten others. So many things to control to make one portion of society comfortable in their ocean of worry and dread.


These folks tend to gather with others to believe in religions, rites, and authorities. They expand this to government forms, policies, protocols and instrumentalities. They build societal mechanisms that protect them against the others. And they watch. Watch for behavior outside of norms. Wonder if that is breaking the law. Hope to find a remedy to push the offense away from them and remain safe.


This edging of belief and fear to buffer themselves from others that do not look, feel or think like them, affects social workings. Laws are made. Elections are held. Authorities are given power to use against those they fear. The progress of this is slow but surely circles around and envelopes bystanders who feel included and empowered. Soon the…the books are burned, the different ones are lynched, the crosses burned on lawns, the hooded marauders sack towns and homes of whomever they don’t trust.


Anarchy tempts us. Your freedom takes away from my freedom. Your trust is not my trust. My faith is not your faith.


Anarchy is the opposite of freedom. Freedom is the opposite of life.


Really?


No. Alternatives exist for this. We just must think of them. Find them. We. We must find them. To keep freedom alive and anarchy at bay. The anarchy of the fearful. Those that fear…us.


I don’t fear us. I fear the them that would silence us.


June 13, 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment